Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I think someone has a network keylogger that is logging everything

Customer Question

I think someone has a network keylogger that is logging everything I type in (including passwords on my secure email account site (more secure than your run of the mill free email accounts)). I also have reason to believe my entire residential LAN has been compromised, and even though I'm running a Chromebook (Chrome OS), all the arrows are pointing in the direction of my not having control over my own Chromebook, i.e. Chrome Extensions and Apps that I install being blocked in settings, even though I didn't block them, and them being totally legal and common Google Chrome Extensions...
JA: A password ***** huh? It happens to all of us! Fortunately, the wizards we work with know tech inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with one right away. Is there anything else important you think the Computer Technician should know?
Customer: I am paying for AT&T Connectech, a useless service for us, because they do not provide service for Chromebooks (nor Linux for that matter), plus the fact that they never give me any answers, like simply my asking why when I look up my current IP address, it always shows as being a Static IP address, when we do not own a Static IP, but rather Dynamic IP.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.
You could have a dynamic IP address that is reserved with your Internet provider.Have you run any virus or malware scans?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know I have a dynamic IP address that is reserved with my ISP. I cannot afford to purchase a static one. No, I actually can not run any virus or malware scans, because this is a Chromebook, running Chrome OS (operating system), so there are no apps that can install, the same way that a person would do on a Windows PC, a Linux machine, or a Mac.
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.
You can reset everything and install your Extensions again.Type chrome://settings into the address barNavigate to PeopleClick on Advanced Sync SettingsSelect Choose What to Sync from the drop down.Uncheck ExtensionsClick OKFind and click on Show Advanced Settings…Find and click on Reset SettingsClick Reset.