Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

My Gateway PC won't read my memory card or anything from my

Customer Question

my Gateway PC won't read my memory card or anything from my USB drives.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 5 months ago.
Hello my name is***** am sorry you have encountered this kind of problem. So I understand what machine we are working with can you provide the model number or serial number please?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where do i find that information?
If it's a laptop usually on the bottom underside of the machine if it's a desktop either in the back directly in front or one of the sides of the machine. Also the usb and card reader is this the kind that is on the front of the machine if this is a desktop of course?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is a desktop. yes it is on the front. It is a Gateway- I found this number on the side: DX4831-01e
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That is the model number
OK that would be the model number, so the entire front is unresponsive? Also can you check something for me. Click on start then control panel. Then click on system and security and then click on system locate and click on device manager and tell me if there are any yellow explaination marks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When i put my memory card into the slot it is showing an error message that says you need to format the disk in Drive H before you can use it. But I use this memory card every day with no problems at all. there are no yellow explanation marks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
And in order to format it again I would lose everything on it. That can't happen.
Where is this memory cards usually used with and does the usb drive do the same thing and same message?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also, when I try to import photos from my phone by plugging it into a USB device, it is telling me the the files were not imported because they couldn't be read. I have never had either of these problems before, so it seems like they are related.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't understand your question. I use the memory card in my Canon Camera.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. Theres a chance I could connect to your computer, and possibly repair the card and recover the files. Most likely, were going to have to format the card and then try to run a forensic file recovery program on it to save your images, or documents on the card. Im sending you an offer for a secure remote connection now, which will allow me to connect and try to repair or recover the device for you. Once accepted, we can continue. Dustin S.