Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

Help! Thinking that it would not affect my computer, I deleted

Customer Question

Help! Thinking that it would not affect my computer, I deleted all my mail (inbox, deleted mail, archived mail, ALL my mail) from my iPhone. But all my mail, including mail that had been saved in folders from the time before I signed up for gmail, was gone from my computer (iMac). I did not want to do this!! I did it around 5 days ago.
Can you restore this mail?? I will be so grateful.
Anita Kasen ***@******.***
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 5 months ago.
Looks like the mail was setup as imap on both the computer and iphone. May i connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'd rather not, if I can do this without connecting. Can you tell me what to do?
No problem. Would have been easier though.Login to the webmail, and check Trash to see if the message you deleted are there, if they are there (only then) they can be restored. Assuming both accounts are setup as IMAP, once from the webmail, you move messages back to the Inbox, they should re-appear on both the devices. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had deleted all the mail from Trash as well. All that is there now are the recent messages I deleted since the time I had deleted everything. Oddly, there's some old mail in the Archive and Junk folders which did not get deleted. But other folders in which I had saved mail from some time ago are empty.
I now understand that whatever I do in gmail on my cell phone or my Mac will automatically happen on the other device. If this is a server issue and I need to contact Google, I'm at a loss. They are unreachable. Can you help?
This is a process, and it's designed to function like this. Google or anyone else will not be able to restore them for you since you, yourself deleted them from Trash as well.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
So, that's it? They're irretrievable? You can't help?
Unfortunately, YES. No body can help.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks. I won't be charged for this, correct?
I cannot assist with billing questions, you'll have to speak to***@******.***
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK. Thank you.