Steve, Consultant
Experience:  Steve is a consultant in the areas of computer software and programming, information management and networking.

I am trying to install windows on a Hitachi hybrid drive (HGST

Customer Question

I am trying to install windows on a Hitachi hybrid drive (HGST HTS72101A9E630). I wish to use it as a primary drive on a Dell 1749 laptop. Apparently it needed to be in NTFS format so I reformatted it and it now only shows up as 100Mb in size. I suspect that partitions may be part of the scenario. What do I do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.
Hi there, my name is*****'ve attached two screen prints to illustrate what I'm talking about below.1) When you install Windows, choose Custom: Install Windows Only (advanced) instead of Upgrade if you're not already selecting that. See the first attached screenshot.2) Then, when it asks where you want to install Windows and shows you a list of the drives available, you should click Delete to delete all the partitions that show. The result should be like the second screen print, where you have a single drive of unallocated space. 3) You can choose Format from that screen or just click Next and the drive will automatically be formatted for you.These steps will erase everything on the hybrid drive. Just so you aware, I'm certain that's what you want to do since you already tried to format the drive.(With a hybrid drive, you can't install Windows on the SSD portion because you don't choose what goes on the SSD or mechanical parts of the drive. The drive controller automatically puts the most used files onto the SSD for you.)If this answers your question, can you please accept the answer and rate me accordingly? I don't get paid anything for helping you until you accept the answer. If it doesn't, chat me back and I'll get the right answer for you. Have a great day!
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I was just following up to see if you got this to work based on my instructions or if you need some more help?