Barun
Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I am trying to sync with my account

Customer Question

I am trying to sync with my account to load bookmarks, etc. It says it is happening, but nothing syncs. Everything is OK on my other computer. I am using version 46. My God, I need help
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 9 months ago.
Hello,I am the person that will be helping you today.May I ask with which application or system you are having these problems?I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.Thank you,Jason
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Firefox version 46, Win 10
Thank you for the update. May I start a secure remote assistance session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem? When the remote session begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Let's get going.
After you click the "Accept this offer" button for the remote service, the remote link will be posted here.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am sorry, but I'm already paying $40. I don't want to pay another $39.
That is okay. We don't have to do the remote, if you don't want to. Please, explain what you are doing. "How" are you syncing your account and with what are you syncing it?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am using my Firefox sync account.within Firefox.
When you attempt to sync, what happens?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Everything that is supposed to happen. It says "momentarily syncing" then that disappears and nothing happens. At one spot it shows the time and date of the sync where nothing really happened to my computer
In that case, remove your account from the sync profiles, add it back, and attempt to sync. After you do that, is there any change?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't know how to do this.
Click the menu icon in Firefox, which looks like 3 horizontal bars and click Disconnect Sync. After you do that, click the same button and choose Connect Sync. Once that is complete, test syncing once more and let me know what the results were.Thank you,Jason
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Same thing. It says sync connected === starting momentarily.
then nothing== no changces
- In Firefox, click that Menu icon, click Options.- In the window that comes up, click Sync in the left pane.- Put a checkbox in all the items you wish to Sync (Tabs, Bookmarks, Passwords, History, Add-ons, & Prefences.- Close that window to save. Once that is complete, test it once more. Did that fix it?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have done that several times already.
Okay. I am sorry, I didn't know that. I have run out of ideas.For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.Thank you for your patience. - Jason
Expert:  Barun replied 9 months ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question. Both of your computers need to be on the new version of Sync in order for them to share information with each other; if either of them are still on the old Sync, you will unlink them before setting them up with the new Sync accordingly. Please stand by; I'll provide you with stepwise directions now.
Expert:  Barun replied 9 months ago.
First off, please unlink your OTHER computer from Sync, as follows: Click the menu button at the top-right of Firefox, and choose Options.Select the Sync panel.In the Sync panel click Unlink This Device.Close the about:preferences page, and restart Firefox. Next, download and update to the very latest version of Firefox, using the following link:www.getfirefox.com Next, click the menu button once again, and choose Sign in to Sync and follow the instructions to create your account (you can use the same email address that you used to set up the old Sync). Finally, do this on the CURRENT computer: Click the menu button, and choose Sign in to Sync.Click Get Started and then choose the Already have an account? Sign in. link at the bottom. Do keep me posted on the results, please. Thank you.
Expert:  Barun replied 9 months ago.
Also, before signing back into Sync on the current computer (as directed in my earlier reply), please make sure that it's using the very latest version of Firefox as well. I'll be standing by; thank you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Both computers are the updated version. Everything has worked perfectly until today when the synced items disappeared on my PC. The laptop still has them and it working perfectly
Expert:  Barun replied 9 months ago.
Hmm, I see. Since the issue started just today, did you try carrying out a system restore yet?
Expert:  Barun replied 9 months ago.
Also, could you please try completely removing and relinking the OTHER computer with Sync just once (as directed earlier), and let me know if it makes any difference?
Expert:  Barun replied 9 months ago.
The reason why I suggest this is, sometimes the issue with Sync is not with the affected computer itself but from the computers it's syncing with, as well. Do keep me posted.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Both computers have version 46.0.1. I disconnected the laptop from sync. I tried sync again on my PC. It says it is connected and momentarily syncing and again for the 10th time nothing happens.
Expert:  Barun replied 9 months ago.
OK. Allow me just a moment, please.
Expert:  Barun replied 9 months ago.
Hmm; from what I have been able to look up for this issue, this might be an intermittent server issue at Firefox's end itself. Assuming that you want to sync the info on the laptop to the PC, could you try disconnecting both of the systems from Sync, and then creating a NEW Sync account on the laptop, and then using the same NEW account on the PC itself? Please let me know if syncing with the new account works for you.
Expert:  Barun replied 9 months ago.
Please note that you will need to use a different email account to create the new Sync account; if you don't already have a spare account, you may create a Gmail account for free first, and then use it to sign up for Sync. Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If I kill my sync account, I believe that I will lose all the data contained therein. That I don't want to do.
Expert:  Barun replied 9 months ago.
No, all of your sync data will still be intact on the Firefox server even after you remove/delete the account. One moment, be right back with further info.
Expert:  Barun replied 9 months ago.
Yes, I just confirmed the following info:
Expert:  Barun replied 9 months ago.
If your data from the current Sync account is already synced with the other computer now, deleting the sync account itself will NOT remove that data from the other computer itself, but will only delete it from the Firefox server. Also, what we are looking to do here is simply disconnecting the old Sync account and creating a new Sync account (with a different email address), that will sync the data from the other computer to the new account itself. You don't even need to delete the current Sync account this way; just create a new Sync account on the other computer, and then sign in with that new account on the current computer. Does this make sense? Do let me know.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I want to end this transaction. With two techs I have received no real answers. I will seek a refund.
Expert:  Barun replied 9 months ago.
No issues, will close out this question now. Please do not reply back any further, and do NOT rate our service either as your issue was not resolved. Thanks.