Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

I received a very threatening notice from MS (?) yesterday

Customer Question

I received a very threatening notice from MS (?) yesterday advising my computer was under attack (phished) and "Do not shut down" and/or "Do not restart". Also received notice that there was a debug malware error: 895 system exe failure" and there is a .net framework file missing possibly due to some harmfl file or virus..I spent 6 hrs. trying to reach the number given (1-***-***-****) w/o success and just tried again this morning but still just a busy signal I did not shut down or restart but did do a quick scan and also installed all the MS updates (which I thought were being installed automatically by MS!) The scan did not show any issues.
So, can someone tell me what is going on? I am not a techie and live on an island in Alaska so there are few choices for techs here. Also, to date I have been pleased with Windows 10 but all this tweaking by the company (or someone who takes that role) I am now hesitant to even turn on the computer.
What is going on?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.
Hello Dolores and welcome.Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your computer.It sounds like one of the popular scams going on nowadays where a message pops up on your screen giving you some notice, then gets you to call a phone number which usually links you to someone that ends up scamming you.Did you speak to anyone and have you downloaded any strange software recently?Please reply using the box below.Regards,Martin