Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have Cvim digital dvr camera system I hooked it and tested

Customer Question

Hi I have Cvim digital dvr camera system I hooked it and tested with the Seagate 500GB HDD unit I bought before installing it Everything worked fine.
After running all 4 of the cables and connecting it back to the Dvr I keep getting A alarm status saying video lost/Net work(white boxes checked) Ive spent all day trying to figure this out with luck?
Can you help me fix this prolem?
Larry
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, I look forward to assisting you today. Is this an Xvim DVR system by chance, and if so, can you provide me with the model number please?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
model 7104d
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. Do you have the DVR connected to your network?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You cant remotely connect it's not connected to he internet
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have no video feed,it worked when I connected it in my living room and then ran the cables now the monitor says video lost
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
Disregard that popup. That is automated and not from me. So you have all four cameras connected now correct?
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
Have you tried a factory reset?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes they are connect I've checked all the connections several times still no video
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
Try power cycling the cameras and try a factory reset on the DVR.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've tried that serval times and again just now still no video
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
You tried the factory reset then correct?
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
Are the cameras plugged into the video in or loop connectors on the rear of the DVR?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The cameras are plugged into to rear of the DVR
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They all worked before I ran the cables I didn't hook them any different then I did the first time
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
Okay, but there are two different ports, one marked in and one marked loop. Are they all connected to the ports marked In? When you tried them before running the cables, did you use the same cables then?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No there are only 4 ports Marked Ch1 Ch2 Ch3 Ch4 Cant make mistake connecting the cables the other side is for power one to the transformer and the cameras
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
Okay, the manual I am looking at is a little different. Try connecting one camera at a time to see if that makes a difference?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No that didn't help
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
Are the camera power supplies all plugged in at the same outlet or are they plugged in near the camera?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it's a transformer with one port in and a four way octopus out to the cameras
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
Unplug all but one camera please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
Any video from the one camera that is plugged in?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
nothing
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
Did each camera come with its own power supply or did you just get the one?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've tried both transformers on the DVR and they both run the DVR I can't any cameras to come on
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I connected them before running the cables it worked fine Now I'm getting a lost video warning
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
Any chance you can take a picture of the back of the DVR and attache here and send it to me?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes it will take me a bit
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
No problem.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here's the back
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
Okay. I see one port for power, but where do the camera's get their power from?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
A transformer plugs into a four way octopus
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
On the transformer it should read the output voltage and power in amps. Can you tell me what that is please?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Input 120V-0.5A
Output12V-1.5A
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
That may be the problem. Do you have a volt meter you can check the power supply with?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Already check them they both are fine there's for the camera's and one for the DVR
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have fluke volt Meter
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
Good. Check the voltage of the transformers and let me know what you have.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They both read 12V
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
Do you have the manual, and if so, check the specs to see what the camera needs for power. Most IR cameras will draw a minimal amount of power until it becomes dark and the IR turns on. Then they will draw much more. I am wondering if they are drawing more than the power supply can handle?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Doesn't say they worked during the day yesterday when I tested them I've been trying to get these camera's up and running sense noon today so I don't think that the problem.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Seems like we are both at a lose of ideas on this problem I've been a general contractor for 20 years and never had a problem like this just glad it's my own house at least I'm not looking like a fool in front of a client.lol
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
Well that's about the only thing left I can think of. You could try connecting a camera to the video input of a TV to check it that way, provided you have the right connector, other than that, I am out of ideas. I totally understand. I installed systems for about the same time and was never stumped, so this is a first for me.
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
You might want to consider a different system?
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
I will be going off line for the day, but if you should have further questions post them here and I will respond as soon as I return.