Rylan Sharpe
Rylan Sharpe, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Global IT Manager at an International Company
93720025

Im running a program, and the window is to big monitor.

Customer Question

hello, im running a program, and the window is to big for the monitor.
JA: Sometimes hardware issues that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Computer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: operating system is Windows xp. running on a POS system
JA: Is there anything else the Computer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: dont think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Rylan Sharpe replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you with your issue. It sounds like you have a program that is showing too big on your screen, which is making it hard to use. Can you tell me how many monitors you have and is this a POS system on a touch screen monitor?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm using just the one Monitor and yes it is touch screen.
Okay, I will try to walk you through a few things. I am also sending you an offer if you prefer for me to remotely login and do it for you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ill have you walk me through it as i dont have a good internet connection.
That works for me too. So, first, what version of Windows are you using? Do all icons look large on the screen? Has this ever worked correct and just suddenly does not?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the version is Windows XP , the icons dont look large, its the only program installed that isnt working correctly. i have just installed the program.
Okay, I understand. Do you mind telling me what the software is called and the version, so I can find what the requirements are for the software? Also, I would like for you to go to the desktop/background and right click, then go to either "display" or "settings" Inside there, I would like to know what resolution you are using. Usually something like 1024x768 or 1080x720
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the software is from a site called www.control.net.au , its the Poin-n-sell program and the latest version. the resolution its on is 800/600 pix
Okay, that is pretty small. Can you tell me the brand/model of the monitor while I look up the requirements of the software?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the only number i can get from it is . NOVA3710SV
okay, thank you.
Looking through the manuals, will take me a few minutes.
Okay, what I suggest trying next is to change the screen resolution from the 800x600 that you saw to the next increment, most like 1024x768.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm unable to move the resolution. the thing to move the resolution up wont move.
Okay, that means that either the computer or monitor cannot go higher or there is an old driver installed. Is this an all-in-one POS system where the computer and monitor are built together/all one device?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes it is a all in one POS system.
Okay, I will look for drivers for it now.
this is an old system, any chance you have the original CD that came with it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no i bought it second hand 5 days ago
Okay, I will need a few minutes here to look for them.
when you are in the display properties window, do you see an option to choose how many colors?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes. either 16 and 32 bit
What is it at now?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
z
Okay, so, if you are unable to lower the bit rate and then try to raise the resolution, I think that we might be stuck. The system's resolution is lower than the minimum of the software 1024x768. It took me some time, because there were different options for that computer, so I was seeing conflicting information.
If this is an urgent need, I can assist you in finding another system to use the software with, or you can even use the POS system on another computer/laptop for now.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok. so it cant be fixed on the current system.
Unfortunately no. If this was a few year ago and we could find a newer screen that would fit in it, then we would have options. At this point, we are stuck. Sorry to break the bad news. Do you want assistance in finding a system that will work with the software?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no thats ok.
Okay, feel free to come back to this thread if I can help you with that. At this point, I would appreciate you providing feedback for me, which should be located just above this conversation window. Thank you!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok. the $50 that i paid for this service, is that refundable
If you are not happy with the service I provided, I can send you to customer service.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok thank you, ***** ***** sent me to customer service.
I have sent the request. Thank you for the question, have a good day.