Gary Jensen
Gary Jensen,
Experience:  Functional Systems Administrator at Hill Air Force Base, OO-ALC/309SMXG
13452844

I have a dell xps 8500 desktop. I'm getting three beeps on

Customer Question

I have a dell xps 8500 desktop. I'm getting three beeps on bootup, one beep immediately, 15 seconds, then another beep, then about 20 seconds another beep. then it boots up normally, everytime. I cant find anything related to this problem. Its keeping me from entering the bios.
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have tried rearranging memory sticks, applied new memory sticks, have unhooked everything one at a time except the C: drive. reseated the video card, replaced cmos battery and reset cmos. I've checked all connections to the motherboard.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 7 months ago.
Hi and Thanks for asking your question on JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today, The three beeps on bootup means that it's a memory issue, either Video card or RAM. Please try to reset the video card, if the problem persists please replace it. it could be loose. If not it's probably the ram. Take out again all your ram and reseat it. If you have more than one stick of ram, try them one at a time. Let me know the results.Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok will do now
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 7 months ago.
Hope it works. Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, I tried switching around the ram, with one and two sticks. no help. I tried a brand new stick of ram. no help. I reset video card. no help. I'm now getting ready to do a memory check test from NVidia website on the video card which is a Geforce GTX 670
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm on windows 10 also, an upgrade from windows 7
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I currently do not have another video card to test with.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Med, is there anyway I can force my system into the bios or is there a way to change boot order without entering the bios. I'm needing to boot from usb flash drive from a windows 10 .iso so I can create or enable administrator account on windows 10. I currently only have a user account. restricts me from doing anything. I'm caught in the middle. no bios and no admin rights.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 7 months ago.
When did this start please? before or after upgrade ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
after upgrade. I just downloaded 1GB NVidia memory test program and it wont install without admin rights lol help lol
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I cant change my windows accounts without external copy of OS. I cant do that without enabling USB bootup in bios and I cant enter bios from the three beep code error at boot.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
tried the windows 10 advanced startup to either reinstall from image or revert back to windows 7. but it wouldn't let me do either one of those options.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was able to bootup into safe mode, but that wouldn't let me change any user accounts either
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry for delay in replying, Please Restart / Power on your computer and At the first text on the screen or when the Dell logo appears, tap <F2> until the message Entering Setup appears Boot Mode will be listed under Boot.now you can change the boot order. To enable the administrator account on windows 10 please use one of the options in the link below : http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2969-administrator-account-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html Let me know if you need further assistance Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
F2 does not work because of the three beep code on startup.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
None of my function keys work at startup because of the three beep code error.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
that's why I'm stuck lol
Expert:  Gary Jensen replied 7 months ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be working with you on this. I have read your descriptions so far and understand you have tried many different things already. At the risk of repeating what you have already tried, I would still like to start by referring you to a Dell support page which describes what the different error messages / beeps mean and what you can do to try to fix the problem. Here is a link to the page. If you have already seen this, please let me know, specifically, which of the procedures described on the page you have attempted. We can then proceed from this point. I am concerned that the 3-beeps indicate a possible motherboard failure - Chipset error.Here is the link:http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN85550/ENPlease let me know how it goes and, if necessary, we can get more creative! Gary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Gary, thx for the reply. I've tried pretty much everything off your link but most on there does not pertain to my situation. I got another video card today and will be trying it out to see if in fact it is the video memory. if not I'm afraid its something in the boot sector (the first 64) or motherboard issue. I do not THINK its a motherboard issue do to the fact it was fine before the win 10 upgrade. I also will be making a win 10 boot CD rom today and try to boot from that instead of a flash drive that's obviously disabled in the bios. That should allow me to get into the registry and make changes to create or change a user account for admin rights. will let you know. thanks rich
OK Rich. I'll await your reply and status. Do you also happen to have an "extra" RAM stick that you could "borrow" from another device? The likelihood that all of your RAM is bad is extremely low. In your description, I noticed you mentioned you had swapped your RAM sticks around. Have you removed all but one RAM stick as well (I'm guessing you have, but I'm just trying to make sure we don't overlook something simple before moving on to something more complex). Gary