Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have a Lenovo R400 that shuts down about every 10 minutes.

Customer Question

I have a Lenovo R400 that shuts down about every 10 minutes. What I'm working on is lost unless I have saved it. Any thoughts as to why it does this. It does not seem to be overheating as far as I can tell on the outside.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.let me know since when are you facing this problem
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Has been doing this for a long time. At least a year. It started out sporadically and just got worse. Now it shuts down every 10 minutes. I did put in a new battery a little over a year ago.
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.
are we chatting on the same computer that has the problem or its a different one
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A different one. If I were using the R400 it wouldn't last long enough for this activity.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.
on the R400 restart computer and tap the f8 keyin the advanced boot menu, select safe mode with networking option and press enteronce you reach the safe mode desktop let me know
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
nothing happens when I tap the f8 key
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.
so does it boot back to windows desktop
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm on my homepage, I tap f8, and it doesn't even blink.
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.
no you need to restart computer and while its restarting then need to tap f8
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok. sorry.
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.
no problems
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I got this: ERROR 0210: stuck keky 42 Press to Setup
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
that's "stuck key"
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.
maybe you pushed the f8 hardrestart computer and tap f8 keyneed to tap it, not hold it down but tap it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can't seem to do it. I tap it but it still goes into windows.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I;m using the restart command instead of shut down. Would this make a difference?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The reboot menu flashes very briefly but does not stay. It says I should use the special blue key to get to the menu.
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.
Let the computer boot to normal mode and then you can open and run the link attached.http://tinyurl.com/hf7plmz
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK I'm in the startup interrupt menu and I have 3 choices:
ESC to resume normal startup
F1 to enter the BIOS setup utility
F12 to choose a temporary startup device
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Or should I run the link you suggested above from Windows?
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.
Please run the link on the problem computer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
"do you want to run or save rkill.exe (1.93 MB) from download.bleepingcomputer.com?
This type of file could harm your computer."
Now what?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK. I think I'm done now. I would like a refund of my $40 and cancel my "free" trial. Thank you.
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.
that file is safe ..you can run it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It says I need administrator's permission to download the file. I do not wish to continue this. I will take it to a store technician. Please refund my payment and cancel my free trial.
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.
Not a problem you may contact customer care for billing issue.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't want to continue this. I would like a refund.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I contact your customer care dept?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Michelle, are you still there?
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 7 months ago.
Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied. Is it restarting if you are in Safe Mode ? Can you see any Count Down message that says system will restart in a particular time ?Can I remote onto your Machine and have a look at your problem? It’s fully secure and you can see what I am doing at all times. If you wish please let me know your time zone and the time period you prefer for remote support. Then I can send you the details to connect.RegardsJins