Gary Jensen
Gary Jensen,
Experience:  Functional Systems Administrator at Hill Air Force Base, OO-ALC/309SMXG

My computer does

Customer Question

My computer does not automatically check for windows updates. When I push the button to check for updates, it gives me a message that says, "Windows Update is currently not running. You must restart your computer." I have done this many times, but it will not download updates. Can you help me? I have a Windows 7; HP/laptop. I am also trying to install a HP Deskjet 970 Cse printer, but the computer won't download an updated driver. Could this have anything to do with the windows updates not working?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Gary Jensen replied 5 months ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.You problem sounds very similar to one addressed at the following web page. Rather than retype the steps, I will give you the link. Please try the steps as shown. If this does not work, please let me know. We can get more specifics and troubleshoot it further (Note, I know this refers to Windows Vista, but the steps are still essentially the same.)Here is the link: Cheers, Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, it did not work. I tried per website instructions, but it didn't fix the problem. Please cancel trial membership and membership. Thank you!
I will be happy to forward your request. If you are willing, I would like you to check just to make sure the Windows Update service is running (and set to run on reboot). To do this:Type "services.msc" in the "Search the web and Windows" pane at the bottom left of the screen. This will bring up the "Services" window.Scroll down until you get to the "Windows Update" service. Double-click on it. This will bring up the "Windows Update Properties (Local Computer)" window.Check the "Service Status" line and verify it say "Running" If it doesn't, click on the Start button and verify that the service status is now running.(Optional) Click on the "Startup type" drop-down and choose AutomaticClick on the OK button, Close the "Services" window.Double-click on the time and date field on the lower right corner of the screen and verify that the time and date are correct (if they are not correct, or if the clock is off by a few minutes, this can cause windows update to fail).Try running windows update from the control panel - it should work I am happy to continue working with you on this if you like. If you do not wish to continue further, let me know and I will forward your request to customer service. I really would like to try to help you if possible as my goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Have a great evening! Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I still get the same error message. Updates were set on delayed start, but I changed it to automatic.
Was the service running when you checked?Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It said it was on delayed start.
Ok, that's the setting. The field that states "Service Status" will either display "Running" or "Stopped" It needs to say "Running." Can you verify that?I have also found a Microsoft support document which addresses the issue. In it you are requested to make sure that the "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" service is running. I am providing this link for you as well. Skip the "Fix it For Me" section and look at the "Fix it myself" section. Check it out! Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
None of the programs say running. They either say started, delayed start, or manual.
Ok, you are looking at the "Startup Type" drop-down menu item. Directly below that (below the thin blue line), you will see the "Service Status." This will either say "Running" or "Stopped." If it says "Stopped", click on the Start button right below the status. Gary
It seems that I have been unable to clearly communicate my information requests with you. For this I apologize. I can opt out and open this question to other experts if you so desire. Please let me know.Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, please just cancel my membership and refund the money back to the credit card I charged this to.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please just credit my credit card as soon as possible.