Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I need an automated way to format files in csv format to retain

Customer Question

I need an automated way to format files in csv format to retain Japanese characters. I regularly upload files to Japanese servers and the Japanese characters are lost when I save an excel file as csv and then upload. I have found multiple step processes to do this online but they are so complex as to not work for me. I want a simple quick process via macro or applet to make this process painless and fast.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Gary Jensen replied 7 months ago.
Konban wa Todd, My name is ***** ***** I would like to try to help you with this. I need a little more information. Could you give me a specific example that I can look at? If I understand it correctly, you are using Microsoft Excel and saving the file as a .csv file. Even with doing that, you are losing the Kanjis. Is this correct? There is no intermediate step where the file is getting saved as a different type of document?Please let me know and we will continue with this.Thanks,Gary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Attached is a sample file I recently uploaded to Amazon.co.jp. This file arrives at Amazon the Japanese characters are gone. You can google search this problem and see the weird process one has to go through to convert the file into a file that can be sent/uploaded with the Japanese characters retained.
Unfortunately, I am not seeing the Japanese characters in the .csv file either. I am going to opt out so that another expert may assist. Good Luck.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 7 months ago.
were the japanese characters where the question marks are now ?have you tried putting quote marks around them ? the problem is that the characters are using an extended ascii that are not part of most standard languages. The server that you are sending them to doesnt see them as a printable character so it replaces them with question marks. if the quote marks around the characters wont do it i would have to research it as well. seeing as it is a japanese server there should be a way to tell it that there are japanese characters in the file or just that it is using an extended ascii set. But please try putting them in quotes that usually tells most programs not to touch what is inside them.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, that is correct. Quotation marks do not fix this. Google: "convert excel files to csv without losing Japanese characters". You will see there are several fixes that are all multi step and confusing. I am looking for a simple quick solution that I can use multiple times a week.
try these instructions.if they don't work can you send me an excel file with the japanese so that i can try a few things. Click on FileIn the panel to the left, click on Save AsThere are two options to change in the Save-As dialog that comes upSave as type: Choose CSV (Comma delimited) from the listClick on Tools next to the Save buttonChoose Web Options from the dropdownClick on the Encoding tab that shows upSave this document as: Choose Unicode (UTF-8) from the dropdownClick the OK buttonSave!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately that does not work. Attaching output file. As you can see when it is openned, the Japanese characters are missing.
I need the excel file that still has the characters please. Then I can play with it here and see if I can find an easy way to do itAnd are you using the standard Japanese language package from Windows or a third party one?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Certainly. See attached.
i see the problem when excel switches to csv it strips any strange characters out and replaces them with ?give me a day to see if i can find any reasonable alternatives. where are you trying to post it and can they handle tab delimited instead of comma delimited ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Certainly. And if it is helpful, the file can also be a txt. I have tried both in several variations but cannot find an easy way to format so that the files will not lose the Japanese characters. Obviously there is some way to do this because I am sending using these files with my Amazon.co.jp seller account. It might be helpful for you to research knowing that. I have contacted seller support in Japan but they are useless since they do not use computers built for use in the West. Their software is all oriented towards using Japanese characters. You can also google how to format the files and you will see torturous multi-step processes to make the changes. I have tried these without success.
the problem is with excel anything comma delimited they strip out any characters not in standard ascii.you can save in unicode text which keeps them but it is tab delimited rather than comma delimited have you tried just uploading one of those and see if the site can handle it ?
you might also try adding the japanese region to your computer excel often picks up regional settings when it decides what to do with things.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So what is the process to try with txt?
Are you saying to add Japanese region to my os or to excel? I do not see anything about adding a region to an os when I googled.
To try the text file just do save as in excelChoose Unicode text as the file type. Not csvTry that first the region thing is just a guess as to why the Japanese don't have a problem doing it