Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance
15197395

Cannot open microsoft word, window says it is because the

Customer Question

cannot open microsoft word, window says it is because the Classic enviroment is no longer supported
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 7 months ago.
Can you tell me, what version of MAC and Word you are using ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Mac version 10.6.8 and word 97-2004
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Mac 10.6.8 Word 97 2004
Expert:  Sudipto replied 7 months ago.
The Classic Environment is Apple's software that supports running Mac OS 9 apps on Mac OS X. ("Mac OS Classic" refers to Mac OS versions before Mac OS X.) Both Mac OS 9 and Classic are really old: Mac OS 9 was discontinued in 2001, and the last version of OS X to support Classic is 10.4 (Tiger), which was released in 2005.What's the difference between Classic and OS X apps? Their code is completely different, as different as the difference between Windows and Mac apps. This is because Classic and OS X are very different architecturally.Why did Mac OS X think your app was a Classic app? Most likely:On UNIX systems, which includes Linux and Mac OS, launchable program files (executables) must have a executable property set to true.Windows and Mac OS Classic are not UNIX and their filesystems don't have the concept of a executable property.Most Mac OS apps are folders that appear as files in Mac OS. You know this if you've looked at the app in Windows. The executable part of the app is one of the files in TheApp.app/Contents/MacOS.When you moved the file to Windows, the executable file property was lost, so when you moved it back to your Mac, the executable property became set to false.*When you opened the app, Mac OS tried to launch the app, noticed that the app wasn't marked as executable, and figured it must be a Classic app.* Usually files that come from non-UNIX systems will have the executable property set to true by default, e.g., if you move files using a flash drive or if you use zip instead of rar. The program you use to unrar files on your Mac would be the one to blame. In one simple sentence, the answer is , the version of Word or MS Office packages is not supported in the latest version of MAC, which you are using. Either you have to use an older version of MAC or you have to use upgraded version of MS Office as unfortunately, there is no way to run older version of an application in MAC, which is possible in Windows.