Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have nearly gone crazy weeks.

Customer Question

I have nearly gone crazy for 6 weeks. I bought a new Brother printer 6 weeks ago and drivers failed to install on my XP Pro SP3 Dell laptop. After 1 month with no success, I uninstalled all the printers that have ever been installed on this computer. I tried to install the new printer and still failed. I kept getting messages like "printer installation failed, access denied" or "you do not have permission to make changes to this printer, contact your system administrator." I couldn't re-install ANY of the printers I had uninstalled without getting the same messages. I stumbled upon your website today probably by re-phrasing my search string. There was a question on there from someone with a problem exactly like mine. A "John" tried to answer 1st and couldn't and then a RobCat98 took over the discussion and told that customer about the program called Dial-a-fix. I followed the link that was there, used it and I now have 3 of the 6 printers I used to have installed, re-installed. What a wonderful thing that program is and I thank RobCat98 for sharing it. If you have a Paypal account, I will gladly make a donation of $36.00 to pay for helping me get my problem fixed.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,This error means that the user account that you are using does not have proper permissions for the installation of Printer. You will need to try creating a new user account and then install the printer drivers and after the installation you can delete the new user account as the printer will be installed. Also ensure you are using the latest drivers available from the Brother website.Pete.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pete,
Sorry, but I don't think you read everything I wrote. Talk to James D. or RobCat98.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 7 months ago.
this link should let you download dial a fixthat sometimes fixes permission errors in xp http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/dial_a_fix,1.htmlunder the hammer icon ( tools )repair permissionssfc scan sfc purge.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Rob M., I have already hard from James D. concerning this. Are you the same person as RobCat98? He is supposed to be replying to me. There evidently is another issue here. I have already ran Dial-a-fix and successfully installed the printers and printed with them the last two days. This morning, none of the printers would print files, or test page from the same computer. I think I have a very well hidden virus or malware that is changing my settings. I'm currently running some deep scans and with 70% of hard drive scanned, so far 11 threats have been found. I am going to wait until the scan is finished and look at what the threats might be, before going any further. Additionally, Malware Bytes, earlier this afternoon, was unable to contact it's server to update any new threats and won't even open at all now.
Thanks,
Rusty
yes i am the same robccat98 it gives me a different name in different categories you can try doing a system restore to get some of it backSYSTEM RESTORE INSTRUCTIONS - XP VISTAstart menu / all programs / accessories / system tools / system restoreselect restore to an earlier dateyou will get a calendar with various restore points for each daychoose one for a date BEFORE the problem startedhit the ok /restore buttonthe system will start to shut itself down and a blue status line will come up in a box saying restoring your system settings.when it finishes the system will restart itself.hopefully everything will work the way it did on the date you selected
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Rob, the deep scan is still running and I'm going to let it finish. As I said earlier some type of threats have been found. I want to see what that is all about and then re-boot. If I still can't print I will sys restore back to yesterday when things did work.
I'm not communicating with you on the problem XP machine. I'm on my Win7 machine right now.
Thanks,
Rusty
ok let me know how it goes thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Robert,
It took a long time last night for the deep scan to go through each and every file. There were 14 files with medium threat "infection"? All those were removed this morning when I got to my computer. I then shut down and restarted computer as I mentioned I was going to do. After re-start and everything being reloaded, I tried printing test page to each of the 3 printers I had successfully reinstalled last Friday. All test pages printed perfectly with no problems. Go figure? I'm afraid I don't believe those 14 so called medium threats (11 were cookies and 3 were POTENTIAL malware), really caused these problems. If it happens again, can I take up, with you, where we left off and accept your offer of the remote hookup and phone call?
Thanks,
Rusty
sure thing. You can always get a question to me just by putting my name right in the front of it.