Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I am helping my husband to upgrade his computer to windows

Customer Question

I am helping my husband to upgrade his computer to windows 10. He received a 7 digit code by email to change his original Microsoft Windows password ***** he has lost. We entered it in the place for 'code" on his computer, but it responded that the code was incorrect. We are stuck --What to do next? Please call by phone only(###) ###-#### My home computer that we are using for this inquiry does not have sound.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question. Could you let me know what's the email address listed for your husband's user account, at the Windows logon screen? Please reply back using the box below. Thank you.
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
(Please ignore and close any automated remote offer if it shows up on your screen now, and reply back to me with the info below.)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Conrad's email address is***@******.***
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Okay; please allow me a moment - looking up the account now.
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Okay, could you let me know what's the 7-digit code you received by email earlier?
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Once I'm able to verify the code, we will go ahead and reset the password ***** the account accordingly. Thanks!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
(###) ###-#### ***** ***** latest code that we requested but we are talking about his computer, not the one that I am using to communicate with you. His is stuck waiting for a correct code #
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Okay, great; no issues, I'll go ahead and reset the password ***** his computer now - could you let me know a desired NEW password ***** would like to use for that computer from now on?
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Any 8-character password ***** do; once you let me know the desired password ***** you would like to use, I'll set it for you right away. Thank you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are we talking about Conrad's official password ***** his microsoft account? The screen is asking for a seen digit code.
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Yes, I'll reset the password ***** his Microsoft account now. If it's prompting you for a PIN code instead, please click on the "Sign-in options" link at the logon screen first, and then click on the second button below it - it will then switch to a Password ***** Also, let me know the desired password ***** would like to use for the account from now on, and I'll reset it for you now. Thanks!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
His desired 8-digit password ***** ***** The screen is asking for a password.
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
OK, I have resetted the password ***** 1112wbtv now; could you try this at the logon screen, and let me know if it works?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, I will try logging on with this password. Be right back
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Okay, I'll be here.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We tried to log in. The response was "welcome" but then the screen turned semi-dark with just a cursor lit up. This has happened with earlier attempts. Now we will have to wait an hour or more before it will go back to the place where we logged in.
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Hmm, I see. If the Welcome screen showed up, it indicates that the password ***** ***** but you are having some other issues with the account now. Please wait for a couple of minutes or so; if the screen does not change, press and HOLD down the Power button for atleast 30 seconds (even after the screen has switched off), and then release the button. Next, press the Power button one more time; it will boot up back to the logon screen again. Done that, let me know.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We will have to resume tomorrow. I have to leave for an appointment now. I should have budgeted more time. --Virginia
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Sure, thank you.