Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have a 5190 series LED Smart TV, that has a USB 3 port for

Customer Question

I have a 5190 series LED Smart TV, that has a USB 3 port for external devices. I plugged my toshiba USB external hard drive into it and watched recorded movies without issue. When I removed the hard drive and reconnected it to my laptop, Windows 10, I can not open the hard drive. The error message says access is denied. The drive will not open on any other laptops running Windows 7 or 10. The drive still works with the TV. Any suggestions on how to unlock the USB hard drive so it can at least be copied to another drive?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. You will need to take ownership of the drive. Plug it into your Windows 7 computer and I will instruct you when ready.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
When you have the drive plugged in, do the following. In Windows Explorer, right-click on the drive you want to take ownership of, then select Properties from drop-down menu. Click on the Security tab then the Advanced button. Click on the Owner tab in Advanced Security Settings then click Edit. Click on the Other users or groups button. Under Object Types, uncheck everything except Users, then click on OK. Click on the Advanced button Click on the Find Now button. Under “Search Results”, click the “user name” that you log into windows with, then click OK.Verify the correct user name in the object window, then press OK. Place a check mark in front of Replace owner on subcontainers and objects. You will see a warning message stating that All permissions will be replaced. This is normal, so go ahead and click on Yes.