Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry

Received a corruption to registry of my windows 10 64-bit operating

Customer Question

received a corruption to registry of my windows 10 64-bit operating system. Asking me to call support @ 1(###) ###-#### ***** with windows 10 and my Microsoft edge 13.10586, is this legit?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
Hi there Paul and welcomeThis is 100% a scam. This is what is known as "phishing" it is can be a very serious problem if you contact them, provide your credit card and let them access your computer.Basically what they will do is get you to call a phone number and say that you have problems. Any actual computer problems you have will be entirely coincidental. Usually what they will do is show you the windows error log which always shows a lot of errors but these are normal and on all windows computers, they are not viruses.Next they log onto your computer and lie to you about the numerous problems they pretend to find. Next they will attempt to get you to pay a few hundred dollars to "fix" the issues when in fact they actually do nothing too helpful. Always remember, no legitimate tech support company contact you like this. Your computer does not report to Microsoft or any other company so if any tech support person calls you can trust it is a scam and ignore it.If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit Thank you