Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.

I have a C540. A few months ago the machine would shut down

Customer Question

I have a C540. A few months ago the machine would shut down a few seconds after I turned it on. I took it to a repair shop who claimed my hard drive was dead. Took it to another and had a new HD installed and ordered the recovery disks from Lenovo. When I tried to run the recovery disks the computer did the same thing: runs for 10 - 15 seconds and then shuts down.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing this C540 a laptop?.It might be the Power invertor......when the PC boots up, it starts using MORE and MORE power.After about 10-30 seconds, the PC is now drawing the maximum power, and if the power invertor is bad, or failing.....then the PC will reboot, or just shut down.And because the power invertor is NOT connected to a data monitoring connection......all you can do is just replace the Power supply, and see if that helps..WHen tech's work on computers.....we swap out parts that could potentially be bad, for parts that WE KNOW FOR SURE are working and good..With each part we swap out, if it does not fix the issue, we swap it back out, and move on to the next component until we HIT the failed component..Its strange that the computer shop did NOT REinstall your Microsoft Windows FOR YOU?.Those discs might not work, as they are for RECOVERY, not a FULL on Install.They depend on the Windows ALREADY being installed, and using parts of it for the recovery..So i suggest you FIRST get a fresh copy of Windows, and see if you can load it up that way.......if not....then look into the power issue.And go back to the computer shop AND COMPLAIN......they should have doens that for you!