Rylan Sharpe
Rylan Sharpe, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Global IT Manager at an International Company
93720025

Windows pro 8. Computer screen is black and says No option

Customer Question

Windows pro 8. Computer screen is black and says
No option to boot to
Category: Computer
Expert:  Rylan Sharpe replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I am Rylan and I am happy to help you with your question. Am I correct in understanding that after you turn on your computer you get an error that it cannot boot?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Can you please help me understand your system that you are using. What brand and model (if you know), how old is it and when did this problem start? Was it just working fine and suddenly started with this error?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Less than a year old their tech donor open till later. It's HP desktop. Just happened last night. Prior to that I was trying to connect to my scanner hpDS-510
Okay, I understand. I also understand how frustrating this must be, we have all be there at one point in our lives When you turn on your computer, it goes through a process to find where Windows is to boot your computer. There may be a list of places that it checks, including a CD drive, your C drive, etc. Unless you have made a change to your computer since it last worked, there could be a problem that the computer cannot find your hard drive or the hard drive is not operating normally. How comfortable are you with computers? The typical next step would be to check the connection to the hard drive to ensure that it has not been accidentally bumped or that the connection is secure.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok what should I do. If it is not something tedious I'm willing to try. CDW doesn't open till 9
The first step would be to open up the case and search for where the hard drive is located. Then I suggest listening to it for clicks or grinding noises. If no weird noises, check the wires to see if they are snug.
Does this sound like something you are willing to try?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

No, I was able to get tech support. the hard drive crashed and they are overnighting me another.

Thank you for keeping me in the loop. I wish you luck on the replacement drive. At this point, it would be appreciated if you could please provide feedback on my answer. You will still be able to return to this thread if you have any follow-up questions.