arsufi2002
arsufi2002, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MCSE, RHCE, IBM System X Server Certified
50085326

I've been successfully using my Scanmaker 3800 on Windows 7

Customer Question

I've been successfully using my Scanmaker 3800 on Windows 7 32bit for 3 years. I access it through Photoshop 7 with ScanWizard 5. 3 weeks ago it was no longer recognized. The driver is current and windows says it is connected correctly. Can you help get it running again?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your computer.Can we do a secure remote session so we can work on the problem together from your computer?Please reply using the box below.Regards,Martin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, but this is a closed network and I don't have authorization to allow a remote session.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Martin, are you available to help at this time or can you provide a better time?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Sure - I can help you via this chat box if you like.Since I can't scope it out myself, I can't really tell you what the underlying problem may be but we can try running a system restore.Have you done that before?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but I can't revert back to a point where the scanner was working
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried completely uninstalling the driver and installing the default driver it came with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Damn 7 and its updates.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to try my above suggestion?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done several system restores all without success.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
I mean, uninstall the driver completely and install the original driver (not the latest one)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give it a try right now.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unable to install software even as administrator
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
What happens when you try to install the software?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It starts to load, the little wheel spins.......then nothing.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way you can get clearance for a remote connection?Sounds like there may be more than one problem with the OS.Are you running the setup as administrator or actually logging into the administrator account and trying from there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to check with our IT. I right click on the .exe and open as admin. Right now we are preparing for our spring sale and I won't have his attention.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Is the computer on a domain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
quot;mcc"
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hm then you might not have privileges to install drivers, only update.This is something you will have to speak to the IT manager about as they have group policies that enforce all sorts of rules
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I switched to admin and the software loaded. I have to reboot to know if we had success.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Ok good work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have too much work that I can't save. I'll have to do a reboot later. Sorry.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
No problem, let me know how it goes!Regards,Martin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Martin, if you are available I can continue trying to reinstall the scanner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I rebooted and the ScanWizard5 loaded. It cannot communicate with the scanner although windows says that it is properly installed.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, I am not available at this time - what I can do is open your question to all experts so you can get help today instead of waiting for me.Would you like that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you wouldn't mind since I won't be in work again until next Wed. (which is beyond 1 week).
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Sure thing, will open it now for you.Good luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the response is not today, it will not be of use as I have off from work until next Wed.
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
Greetings Customer, My name is ***** ***** of the expert in computer category. I would kile to assist you with your issue and would be your next active expert.. Lets continue troubleshooting. First of all lets confirm scanner itself is working fine. We have two ways for checking it..1: Connect scanner to a second machine, install driver and see if it works on it.2: Try scanning using "Windows Fax and Scan" section Please update statusThanks
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Stonemill, Have you performed above procedure. Would you please update status on that