Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have Microsoft 10 and when I try to get onto the internet

Customer Question

I have Microsoft 10 and when I try to get onto the internet with Microsoft Edge a window pops up with the message "class not registered". How do I uninstall Microsoft Edge and then reinstall it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeThis is usually due to system corruption so please do the following to repair itPress the windows key + x and then click command prompt (admin) A black window will open.Type in itsfc /scannowpress enter and when it has completed, type inchkdsk /rPress enter.It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please. Else tell me if you still get the error please
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I press windows + x and nothing happens
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Its the windows key, its on your keyboard next to the ALT keyThen with it held you press XYou then see the menu appear in the bottom left of your screenLet me know if you still have difficulties please.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
sorry but nothing is happening - no menu appears
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ok, you may have additional issues on the computerright click on the Start button (the windows logo bottom left)Then do you see the menu?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No - I have been trying recently to shut down the computer using the Start button and nothing happens when I click it.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ok, restart the computerthen on the sign in page, do not sign in but hold the left SHIFT and with it held, click the power icon then restart.Keep shift held until it has restarted and your at a menu.Choose Troubleshoot, then advance then there command prompt Then when your at a screen where you can type Hi there and welcomeThis is usually due to system corruption so please do the following to repair itPress the windows key + x and then click command prompt (admin)A black window will open.Type in itsfc /scannowpress enter and when it has completed, type inchkdsk /rPress enter.It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.Then tell me how it performs please