Jason Jones, Computer Expert
Experience:  Over 10 years of professional experience.
30759776

My computer started acting really strange yesterday while I

Customer Question

My computer started acting really strange yesterday while I was doing research to finish a term paper due last night.... I turned it off and now it won't boot up.. Tried running the restore thing but it didn't work... What do I do now??? Please help... I'm desperate!!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 11 months ago.
Hello,I am the person that will be helping you today.May I ask which version of Windows you are running on the problem computer? Also, how far in the boot up process do you get?I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.Thank you,Jason
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had to upgrade to windows 10 the end of March.... I hate it! I list everything in my Drop box.... I ran the startup repair thing but it said it still can't start
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oops... Lost everything
May I ask for the brand and model name of the problem computer?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Emachines.... EL1852G-52w
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How can you do it remotely if I can't even boot up??
You can ignore the remote session request. When you run the Startup Repair option, which options are you given?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can't remember exactly... Something about having Windows scan for auto repair
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just remembered I took a picture of the screen... Can I send it to you?
In your case, you can factory reset the computer. The results will be that the computer will be in the same state as it was when you first purchased it. Be forewarned that it will erase all files on the computer, it will be setup as a new computer with Windows 7 or Windows 8 (depending on which version it came with). In order to do the factory reset, do the following:- Turn the computer off.- Turn the computer on.- Immediately start tapping the two following keys at the same time: ALT and F10- When given the menu, choose to factory reset the computer. Once all that is complete, the computer will reboot normally and you will be all set. I look forward to hearing your feedback concerning whether or not your problem is fixed.I hope to hear back that all is working. If this is so, please do not forget to rate my help on the top of this page (choose the number of stars and click the Submit button). If it is not, please respond below.I will be standing by,Jason If you wish to work with me in the future for new problems, you can request to work with me either by posting the question on my profile page or by prefacing your question with, "For ***** ***** Only!"
You can upload the photo here using the Paperclip icon, if need be.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I know all that!! I can't lose my stuff.... Extremely important!! I am in my last semester of 4 bachelor degrees and was in the middle of a huge term paper....
Thank you for the update. In that case, you don't want to do that. Please, look at the photo that you took of the screen and tell me what is on it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Your computer was unable to start
Startup repair is checking your system for problems
There are no other words or options?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tried adding a pic.. Did it work
That is the CMOS boot up. Thank you. When Startup Repair runs, what does it tell you?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If probles are found computer will restart automatically.....Scanning bar
What are the results after the scan?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When it was finished it said it couldn't restart and gave me the option of factory reset.... I said no and it took me to the screen I sent you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How can I get it to reset to a few days ago?
Thank you for the update. You cannot reset to a few days ago. They do not have that option. At this point, it looks like the factory reset is the next step. I understand that you need to first make a backup of your files on the computer. You can do this by booting off a Linux Live CD that you can burn and then copying the wanted files to a usb flash drive. Please, follow the instructions below to Run Ubuntu on your computer: - Click the following link: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download - Download the CD image from that website and save it - Burn the ISO image to a cd with your current CD burning software. - ---- If you do not have burning software, you can download free burning software from the following site: http://cdburnerxp.se/en/download - When you burn the image, do not burn it as a simple data file. First you will open the CD burning application, choose to OPEN the ISO that you downloaded earlier, and then burn that Image.Now you can boot from that burned CD. When you boot from the CD, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you choose to "Test Ubuntu Out" and not install. Once it boots up, you can navigate the hard drive and copy the files to a flash drive. After all of that is complete, you can run the reset.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How can I do all that when I can't get into my computer
You will need to gain access to a different computer so that you can burn the CD.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't have another computer
You will need to follow the instructions on a friend's computer or someone else's computer. You can do that or you can reset the computer.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What caused this
Many things could have caused it. Honestly, there is no way to tell for sure why or how this happened. It may be faulted operating system files, corrupt files, a failing hard drive, along with a few thousand other things.