Rylan Sharpe
Rylan Sharpe, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Global IT Manager at an International Company
93720025

I have an external Toshiba hardrive. Some of my files are missing

Customer Question

I have an external Toshiba hardrive. Some of my files are missing and I would like to recover them
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Computer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: basically the drive was almost full before and now it is almost empty and files are missing
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Computer Technician should know?
Customer: not very techy so don't know really
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Rylan Sharpe replied 9 months ago.
Hello, I am happy to help you with your issue. Do you think you accidentally deleted the data?
There are two possible reasons that the data is no longer there. First, the data was accidentally deleted or hidden. Second, there is a hardware failure on the drive. The easiest thing to do first is to make sure you are able to see hidden files. While in explorer and viewing your external drive, go to view settings and make sure it says to view hidden files or folders. If that doesn't work, we should check if they are recoverable.
Hello, I am happy to help you with your issue, do you have any follow-up questions?