Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

My name is ***** *****. I attempted to go to a website

Customer Question

Hello, my name is ***** *****. I attempted to go to a website and computer locked up with "Microsoft" identity theft warning and phone #to call or else. I shutdown machine and now I can't log back in to Windows 10 - won't accept old or new password.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have to login to Windows acct. to get rebooted to desktop. I can't get MS LOGIN to accept old password ***** new changed password. I'm sure it's some type of hijack virus.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tech Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows. It would be my pleasure to help you resolve this. Do you have another computer or a tablet with internet access that you can use to reset your password ***** the Microsoft website? If so, I can provide you with detailed instructions for resetting your password. Once we have it reset, I can either provide detailed instructions for thoroughly cleaning your computer of any spyware, malware or virus, or I can connect remotely and do it for you. If you don't have a way to access the internet to reset your password, please let me know and I can offer a phone call, so you can provide the information that I will need to reset it for you. Please let me know your preference.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
Microsoft Windows 10 uses your Microsoft account information to logon to your computer. Please go this website: the appropriate selection. If you have no idea what your password ***** be, choose I forgot mypassword. If you think you know your password ***** it isn’t allowing you to sign in, choose that one. Clicknext.On the next page enter the email address that you are trying to gain access to. Also enter the“CAPTCHA” that is displayed on the page. Occasionally they can be difficult to read. If this is the case,click on the audio button to have the computer read it aloud to you. After entering it click next. If youhave entered the CAPTCHA incorrectly you will be given the opportunity to try again. When it has beenentered correctly, please click next.On the next page you can choose to have a code sent to the phone associated with your account or tothe recovery email associated with your account. If you no longer have access to the phone or to therecovery email, click on “I don’t have any of these”.This will give you the opportunity to answer a few questions and provide a few details about how youused this email account in the past. You will be asked things like the email address of people that youemailed from the account, the subject of some of the emails that you may have sent, etc. This is toestablish that you are indeed the rightful owner of the account. If you can provide enough details, theywill be able to give you access to the account. Simply follow their instructions and answer the questionsto the best of your ability.Please let me know if this works for you. If so, it is important that we next thoroughly clean your computer.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
Did that help you to regain access to your computer? If not, there are other ways to get in. Please let me know what brand and model your computer is and I will provide detailed instructions. I think it is very important that we thoroughly clean your computer of any viruses, malware or spyware once we get back into it. I can provide detailed instructions for you to do this, or If you'd like, I can perform these steps for you , and have sent an offer for Premium Services. This is completely optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, but need more help, we can continue here.