Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I was on a web site when out of no where I received pop ups

Customer Question

I was on a web site when out of no where I received pop ups saying that I had the Zeus virus. I shut everything down but when I restarted I got a message that my Windows software is corrupted or expired. Error Code: 0x00AEM001489
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you.Sir are you getting this message after you logged in to windows or before?Which is the operating system installed in the PC.Is it windows Xp, Windows Vista, Windows 7, windows 8, Windows 10 or any other?Is this a branded or custom build computer?Sincerely,JohnNote: - Please reply using the box below.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Before. 8.1
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Windows 8.1
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the details so windows doesn't load at all am i correct.Does windows shows repair options or just a blank screen with the above error message?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Windows logoWindows Update can not continue as your software copy is Expired/Corrupt. Please enter a Valid Product key to continue.
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Is this a branded (HP,Dell etc)or custom build computer?Force shutdown the computer by holding the power button for 3 to 5 seconds that will shut down the computer then turn it on and see if it shows advanced boot options if not once again force shut down and check it.Let me know whether you are getting Advanced boot options.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I shut down and it tells me it is updating and then I get the same screen about Corrupt/Expired
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the update.Is this a branded (HP,Dell etc)or custom build computer?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is an Asus
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Now I have a screen saying it is shutting down with the spinning dots
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
You are not getting the windows login screen like this am i correct?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Correct
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It still says it is shutting down
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Force shut down again and wait for my reply.
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Can you see windows 8.1 product key on the bottom or back of the computer?Please let me know the full model of the Asus computer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I see a Microsoft label but no key
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
OK let me know the full model of the Asus computer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
N56J
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Is this a laptop also can you see anything after J like K,N or R?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is a laptop and no nothing after the J
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Turn on the laptop again and press F8 repeatedly when you see the Asus start-up logo,see if that opens advanced boot menu.Let me know.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have no F keys
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I found it
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Good,Please try it and let me know if that opens advanced boot menu.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It does nothing
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Sorry to hear that,In that case the other option is to restore the computer to factory settings but this will erase the data on the hard drive and re-installs windows and the software that came with the laptop just like a new system.Do you want to try that?Let me know.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I need to think on that
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
I can understand sir.I will do one thing i will open this question to other experts so that they can try and fix this without doing factory restore.Is that OK with you?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, yes
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
You are welcome,Thank you for your cooperation and patience.When another expert replies you will be notified through your email and you can continue from their.Sincerely,John
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. If you want to fix the computer without erasing your files, we will either need a windows 8.1 install disk or recovery disk. Or, we will need to create a repair usb stick. Do you have another computer preferably with windows 8.1 that we could create the usb stick from? If not, do you have another windows computer at all? Thank you for your response, Dustin S.