Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Have an HP 8570 Elitebook running Win7. Try to do a Windows

Customer Question

Have an HP 8570 Elitebook running Win7. Try to do a Windows update, but the progress bar just keeps on moving. I've let it run for over 3 hours and when I go to restart or shut down it just restarts or shuts down saying nothing about updates that need to be installed. This is a new install of Win 7 with SP1 and I know a new install of this right now has about 150 updates that need to be done. I've checked for updates installed and it only shows 2. Why won't it let me update the OS and files?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. Lets start here.. Download and install the windows update troubleshooter from this link http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/E/7/FE74974A-9029-41A0-9EB2-9CCE3FC20B99/WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab Once you run that, it will try to reset the windows update components to fix the issue. once that is complete and it has fixed all it can ( let me know if you get any errors it cant solve ) Once its complete, restart your computer and then start windows update again.. If you still encounter the update issue, let me know! I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ran the program, but got a message the "Troubleshooter could not identify the problem" What's next?
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
My apologies for the delay.. I just seen your response. Did you run through the steps I mentioned after the troubleshooter? To run windows update and install updates and restart, and keep doing so till it no longer found any updates to install? This is a critical step because some updates are prerequisites to the SP1 install