Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

THIS IS A NEW QUESTION ! PLEASE DO NOT DISREGARD !My new

Customer Question

THIS IS A NEW QUESTION ! PLEASE DO NOT DISREGARD !My new HP Laptop w/ Windows 10 is acting squirrely after only a few months of use...even though I clear it every night It's lagging and gives me this message especially when I'm using yahoo email. " Yahoo.com is not responding due to a long running script". If I click out of the long running script note, its still slow and sometimes I have to restart it....it's a bit aggravating when I'm trying to get work accomplished at my business. Please advise!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Hi there and welcomePlease do the following in Internet ExplorerClick Tools (the gear wheel top right) than Internet OptionsClick on the General Tab and Delete all Temporary Internet Files.Than click the Advance Tab and click Reset Then restart the computer and tell me how yahoo now performs please
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I finished the process again but just did that last week and delete temp files every day after work anyway....are you sure there's nothing more to it as it doesn't seem right to have to continuously do that...please advise..
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
We did more then delete temp files, we reset the explorer profileDo you still have the issue?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Doesn't seem to be an issue now but then again, it seemed fine last week when I did it after the previous question. I never had to do this with my previous HP Laptop so obviously curious as to why.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ok, the question remains open, so if it does return, just let me know here.IE can have issues, with add ins, other programs, general corruption, and this clears it, its the most common solution for a host of problems with Internet ExplorerIf you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hold on...nope, it's still doing it....when I open my email and click to read one of them at random...it just sits and spins for awhile...then I click again to "move it along" ..it then gives me the message I stated earlier...now what?
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
thanksCan you close all programsPress the windows key + X and click on Command prompt (admin)A black window will open. Type in it sfc /scannow press enter and when it has completed, type in chkdsk /r Press enter. It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer. Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has. Then tell me if you still have the issue please.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If this helps...it's mostly in email...not when I'm surfing
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
thanks,Let me know please how you go with the instructions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Started your instructions and after typing in sfc/scannow it read "You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility."
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ok, two mistakes, first you missed the instructionPress the windows key + X and click on Command prompt (admin)And you need to put a space before the / in sfc /scannow
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes, I tried it both ways with the forward slash..same message
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
please refer to my entire message, your doing the first step incorrectly as well. Press the windows key + X and click on Command prompt (admin)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Actually, no I'm not...I read and followed to the T as instructed...same message
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Your not sorry, your selecting command promptI am telling you please to select command prompt (admin)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello, this is Mark. I apologize for my son you were talking to earlier. He misunderstood your directions as he copied and pasted the instructions but we downloaded wps In place of ms and it's not very reliable and didn't print properly...anyway, I re-read youir directions and although I got through it, it took over an hour or more so we'll see how this works out and be in touch if we need assistance...once again, I apologize for his impatience..have a good day!
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Its no problem Mark!I was trying not to be irritating whilst trying to get him to read the instructions carefully.Difficult balance sometimes :)Let me know how you go please
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Richard,
Mark here...Thanks for your understanding...
I cleared temp files, reset and restarted pc. I then used your directions step by step and scan went fine but when I hit the chkdsk /r, as suggested, it took about 1.5 hrs. to finally stop and automatically went to my browser...I'm not sure if it auto restarted as I wasn't watching so I rebooted anyway but still get the same message when I go to email and try to open any email. I actually clicked on your response this morning and it gave me the same "" Yahoo.com is not responding due to a long running scrpt" message. I manually stopped the script but didn't seem to help and then all of a sudden it did open your email response..so, here I am ....what next oh fixer of massive laptop issues? haha..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OH, and when it was in the last step it was stuck on 10% for a LONG period of time...
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
it van be stuck for a long time, that means it has encountered a lot of corruption that it is repairing.Can you download google chrome from my link belowwww.google.com/chromeInstall it, open it and use this to access your Yahoo accountDo you get any issues within Google Chrome?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've heard of Chrome but that's about it. Is it similar to IE...should I expect to see big differences between Chrome and IE?
I just want to know what to expect prior to doing it and don't want to add to my already existing issues..thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Its a lot better then IEIt works similar but much more secure and faster
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Richard, Ok, I'll give it a shot and report back later...thanks again
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Mark
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh, before I do that, this pc automatically loaded MS Edge but I didn't care for it....I am using IE of course but would Edge still be running in the background and if so, should or can it be deleted in some way? Just curious.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Not really, its part of windows, you can just ignore it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I downloaded Chrome and will see how this works..if I need you to access pc I will get back with you so you can correct it... know that I'm EXTREMELY hesitant to ever let anyone access my pcs for safety purposes but will consider it..thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ok no problem Mark
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Richard,Mark here once again...while the chrome browser seemed to work a bit better regarding my email, for a new pc it still has some issues and I even went through the same process you gave me as before and it takes hours for the cleanup when I enter the chkdsk/ r . I run a business here and this has been stealing my valuable time. What do you suggest now? As stated, I'm very reluctant to remote assistance but if it turns out absolutely necessary to correct these issues, I guess we have to...please advise.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
sorry Mark, it is not really clear on your last messageYour saying you have the same problem on multiple computers?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
HI, sorry for the delay. I run a small business and had customers....No, same computer, same issues even after running the scan and effort on repairs you suggested. Seems something is running in the background and creating issues, especially with opening email...and even lags quite often on other sites...
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ok press the windows key + R Click Start, type in MSCONFIG and press enter. Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services" Then click Disable All Click ok, restart and let me know if it then has the issue
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Richard,Yes, still the same issues. More thru IE than Chrome. I get "long running script" msg. every time I click on an email to open it and when I click on an attachment, it opens "edge" and when I click on open the attachment seems to flash for a split second then nothing...will not open..
Other suggestions and do I have to undo what you suggested I did just a few moments ago?
Thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
yes, undo what we did just now please.Then create a new user account using the link below pleasehttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10restart the computer, sign in with this new account and tell me if you have the problem in this account please
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Richard,Alhough I created a new account just now as instructed, I never had an account set up from the start that I had to sign into since I'm the only user on this pc anyway..not sure if that makes a difference but just wanted to inform you of this...with that being said, I did created the new account but didn't have to sign in so don't think it helped you in any way...please advise.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Additionally, adding Chrome didn't really seem to make a difference in email. Slight, if any.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
If you created the account, then you would have to sign in to it.But I think all the repairs are failing and the next step is a reinstall of windows as everything else has been ruled out.Can you backup your data off the computer please (programs you will need to install again)Once done, click the start button, settings, Update and Security, Recovery then Reset this PCChoose to remove all files and clean the drive.Let it complete, setup windows again and it should now function correctly.Let me know please how you go.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Richard,Hi, The other user came up when I rebooted today and I signed in as requested but same issues as my original user...
Since the pc is new, there's not much on it at this point as I've been using my 2008 HP w/ Windows 8 temporarily that, ironically, died today before I could get everything off of it as well...what a mess..when I boot it up it reads "No Bootable Device-insert boot disk and press any key" BOOT DISK? grrr....that's a separate matter though that maybe you can also help with as a different question....might as well get separate credit eh?
So, I'm a amateur novice at this to say the least and now sure if I know how to make sure I saved all that I have before re-installing windows....what do you suggest? Thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
that means a harddrive or motherboard problem, if you make me a new question we can try some things to get it running againFor this, make sure to copy all you personal files to an external hard drive, so word documents, photos ect before doing the reset
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
How did you go with this Mark?