Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I am a technology professional with 18 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).

My asus laptop wont let me play dvds odd reason JA:

Customer Question

my asus laptop wont let me play dvds for some odd reason
JA: Good tech support is often the difference between a quick fix and many sleepless nights. The Computer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: every time I put a dvd in, it wont bring me to a media player or something that plays dvds, I have had this problem since I got it, how do I watch dvds
JA: Anything else I can tell the Computer Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: are you there
JA: I'm here.
Customer: do I have to update anything to watch dvds cause it said dvd compatible when I ordered it and when I got it it wont play dvds
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  technicalcat replied 6 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. Could you please tell me the MODEL of this laptop?
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 6 months ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I am an independent technology expert who' s been paired with you through It is my pleasure to assist you today.Starting with Windows 8, Microsoft stripped out the ability to natively play DVD movies. They did this because the DVD codec (the software which your computer uses to decrypt the DVD video stream) has an associated licensing fee, which Microsoft no longer wanted to pay. Computer manufacturers often do tout that new computers have DVD capability, but this often refers to the ability to use data DVDs....not movies.I don't have ALL bad news, though! As a FREE work-around, you can download and install a fantastic video player called VLC from this link: has the ability to decrypt DVD movies, and will fix you right up.If you run into any trouble installing VLC or have additional questions, please let me know!