Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

My Hotmail account was set to offline, now I no longer have

Customer Question

my Hotmail account was set to offline, now I no longer have the computer I was using and need to set it to online. How do I go about getting my Hotmail account to online?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing OFFLINE you are speaking of, relates to your STATUS online. Meaning that when somebody looks to see if you are ONLINE and logged in, the STATUS indicator will be shown. and you can selet if you want your STATUS to be ONLINE or OFFLINE..If yours is set to OFFLINE, then when peopel look to see what your status will always say OFFLINE....even if you are in fact ONLINE and logged in.Its just a privacy setting..IN order to change this.... i need to know HOW you are accessing your HOTMAIL..Are you usign OUTLOOK to connect and view your emails?Are you just using a Web Browser to go to hotmail website , and then logging in that way?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was using a web browser and had set it to work offline so that all my emails would not come in and show "online" now I need for these emails and my documents to be available to me online since I no longer have access to the computer I used to set the account to "offline"
Oh....are you still able to LOGIN using a web browser?I mean just because you went OFFLINE, you SHOULD still be able to LOGIN.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can login but I can't receive my emails or other documents
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What do I do in order to get my account back to an "online" status so I can receive my emails and get my documents? This is what I paid to get an answer to
Are you sure you didnt turn this setting to OFF from an Email application? Like the default Email app in Windows simply called "Mail"?
From what im reading, its not possible to turn that settif to OFFLINE when you are ONLY using the BROWSER to login and check email.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When you say Browser I am not sure what you mean, I would log in on my computer, then I set it to "offline" on my computer because it was a business computer and the Hotmail account was a personal account so I didn't want any of my personal email or documents to come in on my business computer, I wanted to read and use them when I was not at work
A Web BROWSER, is the program that you put in the web address into.Like if you want to go to google.comYou would open up your Browser (Internet Explorer, or Firefox, or Chrome OR whatever Browser you like) and then put in the address bar....... www.Google.comAnd hit would then be taken to google.comTHAT is a web BROWSER......which you can ALSO go to hotmail and login to look at email..Now you can ALSO look at emails using an email application, which is NOT a browser.
An Email application is like Microsoft OUTLOOK, or just a default application, called MAIL.Neither if which are Browsers..But BOTH can can put OFFLINE as emaisl settings..But i think you may hjave been using the Windows LIVE messenger, which ALSO lets you look at your EMAIL..On this computer you are on NOW.....go and download the Windows Live messenger, and then once it it and login.
Or...if you are confused...i can connect to your computer, and do this for you WHILE YOU WATCH?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Windows live messenger is no longer available for download. I'm sorry but nothing you have given me has helped.
Oh thats switch to Skype......have a look sorry.....i forgot it only happend a few days ago:.."Starting from 8 April, Messenger users, previously Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger, will find themselves unable to use the service," Microsoft said in a blog post on Thursday."But don't panic, this isn't the cause of a catastrophic technical fault, simply wait to be prompted to install Skype, or follow a few painless steps to get yourself on the way."Messenger users will be able to transfer their Hotmail and contacts by signing into Skype with their Messenger ID, Microsoft said.Those signing into Skype with their Messenger IDs will be ask whether they wish to keep their existing Messenger profile picture or upload a new one. Once signed in "you will have all of your friends from Messenger, Facebook and Skype at your fingertips," Microsoft added.
So instead of LIVE messenger....just get Skype, and then LOGIN to skype using your HOTMAIL credentials.
YOu may have to setup your Email application to use your hotmail email.What version of Windows are you using?You know, this would probably be alot faster if i could connect to your computer and SEE what is happening, and resolve this much quicker, and also give you some pointers?
Wait i think i found the setting inside the (hotmail) website..MIcrosoft changes stuff it took me awhile to find it..YOu need to login to your email using the web browser, at the link below.
Then, after you are logged in......on the TOP RIGHT you will see your PROFILE picture, and you will click on that......which will bring up your status menu.That will allow you to be AVAILABLE (online) or invisiible (offline)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Josh replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I see that you requested a new answer to be provided. Do you still need help with the issue?