Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a PX30t Toshiba all-in-one PC. It works well except

Customer Question

I have a PX30t Toshiba all-in-one PC. It works well except that it commonly fails to register the first keypress after a pause in typing. I have recently upgraded to Windows 10, but this problem has existed since the PC was new, as far as I can remember. I got the dealer to look at it some time ago, but their efforts were ineffective.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeAre you using a wireless or cabled keyboard?Please let me know
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
wireless
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ThanksCan you press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)A black window will open. Type in it sfc /scannow press enter and when it has completed, type in chkdsk /r Press enter. It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer. Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has. Then when it has completed, windows will load and tell me if you still have the issue.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry to be slow responding to you - I am being distracted by someone else needing to communicate with me.
How do I log in as admin?
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin) I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you. Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse. I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps. Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong. If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me. Thanks, Richard
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would prefer to work with you please, so I learn something. (I have finished the other conversation.)I am not a total novice, just have a few stumbling spots! :)
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
no problem at all!Let me know how you go with the instructions I gave you please.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is not letting me do that - says I need to be an administrator. Thought I was the administrator. Can't remember how to log in as admin.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
PS - I am running W10
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ok, your not following closely the first step of my instructions, I will repeat again. Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh - Sorry. Working now!
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
thanks!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK, so this might take a long time. Is it simple to get back to you once my PC restarts?
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
yes, you can message me here as your doing now
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Won't this window close down when the PC restarts?
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
yes, but you return back to this web page, either press CTRL + D to add it to your favorites, or check your emails with a link back here
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
your welcome
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
First part complete: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".
Proceeding to next step.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi again, Richard.
My PC is certainly taking a long time to undertake the "Scanning and repairing drive (C):" task.
It appears to be working away, but has been displaying "11% complete" for a couple of hours now.
I guess I will leave it for now &check progress in the morning.
I will update you again then.
Thanks for your help so far.
Owen.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** finish, just got to let it complete Owen
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Richard, (if you are on line again),
My PC has rebooted back to normal by this morning. Was there something else you were going to suggest I do? I guess it will be a little while before I know if the missed initial key press problem has been solved, as it occurs frequently, but not always.
Thanks for your help. I await further instructions, if you have any.
Regards, *****
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Nothing yet Owen, just monitor it and please remember to let me know the results.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will do. Thanks so much.
OL
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Owen.When you feel it is fixed, please remember the rating
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've set a reminder in my Cal for 2 weeks' time. :)
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
thanks!
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Hi there Owen,How did you go? As I never heard back. Can you do the rating now please if it is all fixed.Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Richard. Thanks for the follow-up.
Unfortunately the problem is unchanged. Still misses the first key-press or mouse-click frequently but irregularly.
Seems like a difficult problem to pinpoint that I might have to live with till this pc dies. Fortunately it is not too serious.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
ok... it will then be a hardware issue on the keyboard, I advise you use another USB keyboard and see if this then resolves it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** will try another keyboard soon.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Your welcomeIf you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you