Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have had Windows 10 since January, but my "backup and restore"

Customer Question

I have had Windows 10 since January, but my "backup and restore" has "Backup and Restore (Windows 7".
I have also received messages after each backup since installing Windows 10 that state "Last backup did not complete successfully" What gives?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 7 months ago.
Hi Gregory! My name is ***** ***** I am an independent technology expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. It is my pleasure to assist you today.The Backup and Restore Tool has been replaced in Windows 10 by a new feature called "File History." The link to "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" that you are seeing will permit you to run the old tool, in order to access backups that were created prior to your upgrade to Windows 10. The File History tool included with Windows 10 is similar to the program you used in Windows 7, with a key difference: it backs up everything in your User folder, and can't be configured to backup other directories. It utilizes file versioning -- unlike the Backup and Restore Tool -- permitting you to rollback changes to individual files by restoring any save point. You should also be able to use the old Backup and Restore Tool to make snapshot backups of your files in Windows 10. There are many problems that can cause the error you are seeing ("Last backup did not complete successfully"); does the error provide any additional information to you? You may wish to try removing your old backup scheme and creating a new one to see if that solves the issue, before we dig into that further.Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will write back if further questions
Sounds good!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This backup seems to select some files and not others even when the whole "Documents" folder is selected for backup.Inevitably, the file(s) that did not get backed up will be the ones I need most. Any thoughts?
Hmmm...every file should be getting backed up. The ones which aren't...are they a particular file format (or have anything else in common)?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No real order to what's saved and what's skipped. It is difficult to spot missing files... I just happened to look for some that didn't show up???
That's certainly not how that feature is designed to work, and I've never seen that problem occur. I'm going to open this question back up for some other experts to take a look at...fresh eyes, fresh ideas. Thanks for your patience...we'll have someone else with you shortly.
Expert:  Asriel replied 7 months ago.
Hello! I'd like to do a remote session to further troubleshoot this for you. I'll send you a request now.