Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.

I am helping my cousin restore his windows xp computer to

Customer Question

I am helping my cousin restore his windows xp computer to original condition. We can't get rid of the bug, so he is okay with the complete restore. Can you tell me how to instruct him in this process?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Chris L. replied 6 months ago.
Hello,In order for your cousin to restore it to it's original condition he will need to reinstall windows xp from a CD. If he has his windows xp CD still he just needs to put it in the drive and boot the computer. He should see an option to boot from the CD. Once he chooses that windows will start to install over the old installation. If he doesn't have a CD then this is a lot more complicated. He will need to get a windows xp CD and valid license. Depending on the make of computer the license is usually on a sticker somewhere on the computer but he will for sure need that. Otherwise he will need to buy a new CD with a license. Remember Microsoft ended support for windows XP so you cannot buy it from them. Ebay is a good place to get one, you just need to be careful and make sure it is legit if he cannot find the license. Also if he can find the license then he needs to make sure he gets the same version of XP for example if he had xp home version then he needs that CD if he had xp pro then he needs that version. I found this one on ebay for you that should do the trick: That one is good because it comes with service pack 3 on the CD. But as I said, if he still has his xp CD then he just needs to put it in the cd drive and reboot, wait for the option that asks to boot from CD and choose that then follow the instructions on the screen which are pretty straight forward and just require clicking next and setting things like your time zone. Please do me a favor and take a moment to rate my service by clicking the stars above, 3 or more is very appreciated, we can still chat after rating if you need more help.Thanks,Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Chris for that information. There is a product key underneath the machine. I took down the characters. Now, what do we do?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He doesn't have a cd to restore. Give me another moment to read your previous instructions
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I looked at the offer on ebay and noticed that they are offering the cd with a license. Since we alreaqdy have a license, is there a less expensive way to get the same tresults?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are you still there chris?
Expert:  Chris L. replied 6 months ago.
Sorry for the delay in reply, I had signed off for the night after answering you. If possible can you tell me the make and model of computer and also which version of windows xp it had, either home or pro? Once I know this I may be able to locate a installation CD very cheap.