Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I want to sign in to Aol.com USA version. It worked

Customer Question

I want to sign in to Aol.com USA version. It worked for a long time, but now it always revers to AOL.de which I don´t want. I just to have a code: www.aol.com/?intl=stay and it worked. Now it doesn´t. Please helpl miriam kaul
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Computer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Computer Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: Only that it used to work with the above code. Now, it changes in the high left hand corner to aol.de. I want the USA version back again. Thank you. *****
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 8 months ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. May i connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? Thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I would appreciate your help. Miriam Kaul
I sent request for remote service. Please accept it then follow steps here to connect with me.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do not understand what is happening with this money situation. I sent the initial 5.00 dollars which promised an answer. Now I am having a request for more money in order to get an answer. Please either solve my problem with aol.com vs aol.de or let me know what is going on with the additional money request.
Let me explain. There are two types of support session we provide. 1. Instruction based, 2. Remote Support. The initial amount you paid is for instructions only, and the remote service is the additional service that will allow me to connect and troulbeshoot the issue. Now as per my understanding, if i instruct you - it will be quiet long and complicated for you since this is a technical issue that requires configuration of settings. Let me know how you wish to proceed. Thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well, thank you for your response. Originally, AOL simply told me in an email what to do, to use the www.aol.com/?intl=stay process, and it worked. I would like for you to try the instruction based service first. Also, with remote support I am not convinced I will be able to follow you, especially if it is quite long and complicated as you say. I also am reluctant to believe it is a technical issue that requires configuration of settings, because that was not the case before, through aol. So, shall we try with your instruction based response. Thank you. I will say, if it will save time, that I have already tried the following suggestions:
1. http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/microsite.do? 2. cmd=displayKC&doctzpe=Kc&externalld=62024 3. uncheck preserve favorite website close 1E9 Windows 4. http://www.msn.com/?c=us or http://www.msn.com/?st=1 5. ALT+T+O+D+O (5) www.wikihow.com/clear=your_Browsers`s_cache#Internet_Explorer_9These are things I have tried, except for the last one which I did not understand. I send these all to save you time regarding what I have already checked.All I know is, originally what AOL gave me: www.aol.com/?intl=stay worked right away and was simple. When I put that in now, in the top left hand corner, very small, it changes to the de. setting. Also, underneath where I type in what I want for AOL, there are lots of other things that need to be erased under that, and I cannot seem to erase them, which could conceiveable help. I do not think that talking to me would be helpful because I do not know the terminology.
So, seeing the above things I have already tried, perhaps you have a better and simpler suggestion. I would appreciate it. Miriam Kaul. Thank you.
Remote will save time, because i will perform troubleshoot the issue myself. First, tell me which web browser are you using and which time zone / region is set on your PC Clock?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I use both aol.com and I use gmail.com. It is 17.03 here
I need the time zone (setup) on your PC Clock. Also, i need to know the name of the browser (Google Chrome, Internet Explorer).
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Google Chrome. I am in Berlin Germany, where the time is now 17.05 or 5.05 p.m.
Here's the suggestion to try first. Which ever time zone it is, change the Region to "USA". This will setup the US time on your system, once done. Check to see if AOL takes you to the US site. If it works, you can setup a secondary clock to show the time for the country you are in right now from the Clock. However, primary should be US. Try this and let me know please.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just a minute. I need to see if my roommate is awake and can set the clock.
If this won't work, open notepad as administrator and open the hosts file located in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hostsadd the following line to the end of the hosts file207.200.111.13 www.aol.comSave the hosts file. Then try.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did not understand these instructors. I lost you somewhere along the way. The clock thing did not work
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
P.S. If you are in the USA, which you probably are not, but if so, I could call you. I have a special rate. Miriam
Unfortunately, i cannot take calls and i do not think it will be helpful over the phone. I can remote in and do this myself. Would be quick. Which part did you get stuck at whilst performing instructions and type me the exact region name in clock ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The time here is Central European Summer Time. The time now is 19.36, or 7.36. There was no change to Aol.com when I changed the clock to American time. What exactly is the notepad as administrator? Where do I find the
C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hostsadd the following line to the end of the hosts file207.200.111.13 www.aol.com I will look quickly on the internet for a definition of notepad as administrator and a definition of hosts file. I do not understand how you can remote into my computer. Be right back.Save the hosts file.Then try.
You need to set the region to US time, the clock should then automatically update. Notepad is a program on Windows. If you click Start -> type notepad, you will find it. Right click on it and choose run as administrator, but do this step only after changing the region/zone on clock. which operating system are you using?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Question. What if I pay the money for the remote tech support and it still doesn´t work?
A friend came by last night and tried to help. He has me not useing Chrome, which I have always used, but rather Firefox. It worked for a bit that I could go to the AOL.com (USA) site, but today it doesn´t. I always used chrome and never had a problem. Then from there I went to Aol and typed aol.com/?intl=stay and it immediately went to the Aol, USA site, where I checked my emails on that site as well as read the news. I was gone for a week and used some else´s computer (MAC). I don´t know why it would make a difference, but it has not worked since I have returned to my own computer (PC). I am going away from my desk for two hours and then I will return. P.S. I do not believe changing the clock will make a difference. It was always set on German time when everything worked. Miriam Kaul
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
P.S. I went to aol.com after having signed into Gmail from Chrome and checked my mail.
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 7 months ago.
If you pay for remote, and it doesn't work - you will be refunded in full.
I would suggest we take a look at this remotely, it's the best way forward.