Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

I have a Lenovo T420. It will not boot up. It tries to, but

Customer Question

I have a Lenovo T420. It will not boot up. It tries to, but no go. I replace the RAM and the HDD. Did not solve the problem.
Category: Computer
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.
Hi Joel. My name is***** there! My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. Do you have access to a working computer and a blank cd or dvd? If so, please click hereto download an ISO image that can be used to make a bootable diagnostic cd for Lenovo computersClick on the Lenovo Diagnostics - Bootable CD ISO file hereWhen the file Download window opens, click SaveChoose a folder to put it in and click SaveTo create a CD image, right-click on the image after you save it, and select Burn Disk Image
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.
Once you burned the cd, you can boot from it, and hopefully by running it you will be able to tell what specific piece of hardware is causing the issue. It could possibly be the motherboard. TO boot from the cd, insert the cd, turn the computer on and press and release F12 repeatedly until boot menu screen comes up and choose boot from cd OR go into bios and change boot order. If the information that I have provided has helped, please kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I downloaded the file, but I don't know how to save it. There are 5 files listed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think I am burning to a CD noiw.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Alison, I burned the the file into a CD. I will try to boot up my computer with it. How do I contact you to let you know what my results are?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.
Yo can just reply here and i'll be notified. Thanks!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried to boot my laptop with the boot disk but it wouldn't. The screen flashes momentarily and then goes dark.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.
Hmm. I'm sorry. It may be that the mother board is bad and that you won't even be able to get it to boot from a cd, or, there coudl be a problem with that cd. Do you have any other bootable cd's that you could try to boot from?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think there is something else wrong. The power button light is always on. I can not get it to turn off, which presumably means the computer will not turn off.. Any thoughts on this? I can try to boot with the Lenovo recovery disk and see if that works.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry. I'm all out of ideas. You can try with the Lenovo recovery disk, but more than likely there is a hardware problem with either the mother board or the power inverter. This is getting a little outside of my area of expertise so I will "opt out" and see if anothe rexpert can help. Have a good evening!
Expert:  Chris L. replied 8 months ago.
Hello,I have read through what you have tried so far but it is not entirely clear why you replaced the ram and HDD in the first place. I am assuming it was because you couldn't boot though. Honestly there is not much more you can do other than replace the motherboard but at this point it may just be easiest to replace the computer unless you have time on your hands and are able to get the parts cheap. Replacing a laptop motherboard is a real pain and I personally no longer do laptop hardware repair for clients unless it is something like a ram upgrade because it is just not worth the time and for I would need to charge them they could buy a new laptop. Really though, it is up to you. If you have the time and experience I would replace the motherboard next, you are going to need to replace it with an identical one that is already in the machine. You can get a refurbished same model laptop for about $200. But if you are doing this because you want to fix it then your next step would be to replace the motherboard. Also as far as the new hard drive and ram make sure that they are identical to what was in there in the first place. Of course you can always upgrade the ram amount and upgrade to a bigger hard drive with more space but make sure they are compatible with the board. If you did not already have it here is a link to the service manual which you will come in handy if you do decide to continue to try and repair it:http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t420_t420i_hmm.pdf As I am sure you understand, without working on the machine myself it is impossible for to 100% diagnose the issue in cases like this so keep that in mind as well. If you need further help please do not hesitate to reply and let me know.Please do me a favor and take a moment to rate my service by clicking the stars above, 3 or more is very appreciated and is what credits me for my time and expertise, we can still chat after rating if you need more help. Thank you,Chris