Nathan, Systems Manager
Experience:  Own/operate computer networking/IT company.

I have an Arris Surfboard 6121 and an Apple Airport Extreme

Customer Question

Hi, I have an Arris Surfboard 6121 and an Apple Airport Extreme for home network. Internet connection drops out randomly several times a day and resetting the modem always brings the connection back. I have replaced the Airport Extreme and the ethernet cable going from the modem to the Airport... connectivity drop outs remain frequent. When the connection drops, all devices display they are getting strong signal from the Airport, which has a green light, and there are no status changes on the modem... everything appears fine except that no pages will load and the modem has to be reset. I have read on several forums that this issue is common. Someone suggested a larger power supply for the Arris solves the issue. Do you have any advice? Thank you and cheers
Category: Computer
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Heather. This is not an airport issue, it is an arris/modem issue. This could be from signal dropping from the cable co, or it could be a faulty modem.Have you talked to the cable co yet? They can check the signals remotely and make sure there are no issues with its connection, as well as send updated firmware to the modem. Beyond that, while it wouldn't hurt to up the power supply, that can't fix an underlying signal issue, or an internal hardware issue. How long have you had the modem? These units typically last about 2 years before they start to degrade and ultimately fail, and it sounds like you're on the path to that already, so replacement is probably the quicker/cheaper option in the long run. If you expect to ever want or be able to upgrade your speed to 150+mb, you'd need a new modem anyway, so it would probably be worth updating/upgrading to a new 16x4 unit anyway (yours is 4 channels up and down): Best regards,Nathan