Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry

Lost pass word and user name. how do I recover both

Customer Question

lost pass word and user name. how do I recover both belonging to***@******.***
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Hi there Jerry and welcome

Your username is***@******.***

To reset the password, use my link below and complete the online instructions you see

Once done, you use your email address as the username and the new password ***** the password.

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Else let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are you there?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

yes Jerry

How did you go with the instructions I gave?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried that before
several times and got nowhere because it asked questions I could not answer right. can you please call me on phone? not good on computors
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

It is better if I connect to your computer and we then do it together.

It is an additional service (as is a phone call) so please accept it and we can then do this.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm 73 on ss. can't afford that right now. thanks anyway.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok.. then try the instructions I gave you again and tell me please exactly what happens now.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it asked when I last got into acct. when did I open acct. would not accept my answer. got even more complicated as I went on. would not accept my answers or I didn't have a answer
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok, then this puts you in a difficult position.

If your not able to pass these questions or the email contacts, then the automated tools will not be able to help you regain access Jerry

You will need to follow the manual process, it is the only option left in your situation.

You'll need a working email account so they can contact you on it. I advise to make a temporary one here if you do not have one

Then go to this link and fill in the form please.

You will then need to allow up to 24 hours for Google to contact you with the instructions to reset your password.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
did that already. they told me if I could not answer the right, there was nothing they could do. that's why I contacted you
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

If you did not know what your username was, which was the case before Jerry, its not possible you could have done this or the first instructions I gave.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I kept skipping to next question and kept going. that didn't help ether. so is there any other way to recover my emails in the***@******.*** acct?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

If you really did my last instructions correctly, then no there is not

Unfortunately you are not going to be able to recover this account unless you can remember the password. If the password ***** changed or the account was hacked then you are not going to be able to get back in. It is extremely important that you keep your recovery options up to date since that is your only way back in if you don't have the password. Gmail being a free email service does not offer any support aside from what you have seen online. A few years back they did have more options for people in your situation but now they simply suggest you create a new account.

I am sorry to have to tell you this but unless you can remember or get access to the correct password ***** is no way back in. Gmail states the following "When you register for an account, it's up to you to provide the most up-to-date and valid recovery info. Your best option to avoid losing access is to update your recovery info if you get a new phone number or change your alternate email address. "

So unfortunately there are no options left since you never updated your recovery information. In the interest of saving yourself some time I would suggest you don't spend more looking for a solution in this situation as you have no options aside from getting the correct password ***** am sorry to say. I just don't want to give you hope because in the last year gmail has completely cut off any type of support and leaves account recovery entirely up to the user meaning if you don't keep your recovery info up to date and forget or lose the password ***** cannot get back into the account.

Again, sorry to have to deliver the bad news but hopefully it saves you some time in the long run and prevents anything like this from ever happening again.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could rate my reply to you by clicking 3 stars are more. I of course understand this is not good news but you are just rating me personally and not Google, their policies, or the situation itself.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
will I still be charged the $31, since the problem was not fixed?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

speak to customer service for anything cost related.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
let me try the second link you gave me for google help and see what happens
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I only have a flip phone not a smart phone. so I can't anawer the text message they keep sending me. how do I stop that message?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Not sure what your referring to Jerry.

you say first you already did these instructions I gave you before coming here. and you do not want to pay even though without the user name (which you stated you did not know) its not possible to do the instructions.

Now even though you do not want to pay, your doing the instructions again? And now you get text messages.

Sorry Jerry but something is not adding up here and I have no idea what your up to now. You need to be more clear in your messages please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I already had the information you gave me before I contacted you. I was hoping you had another answer for me and solve my problem.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Ok Jerry

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks anyway jerry
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.