Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator
Experience:  Systems Administrator
58973002

New notebook : asus x555la Windows 101 day old Won't accept

Customer Question

New notebook : asus x555la Windows 10
1 day old
Won't accept password ***** log in
How can I get around this?
Would like to save all the security ware I put on it yesterday.
Category: Computer
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. What do you see above the password *****? Is it an email address?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I see the word "Password"
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
There should be either a UserName or an email address above that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** the user icon
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you for that information. I was hoping that you had set it up with an email address associated with it. If so, we could have gone to https://account.live.com/password/reset and reset the password. I can help you to reset it anyway but we may not be abe to reating the security ware that you installed yesterday. Please give me just a moment to provide detailed instructions.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
I have uploaded a pdf file with detailed instructions and illustrations that will help you to refresh your PC and eliminate the password. Please let me know ifyou get stuck on any of the steps or need clarification.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
It would be a very good idea to associate an existing email account with your Microsoft account and add a phone number and alternate email so that you will be able to reset your password ***** easily in the future. I am also attaching instructions for resetting a Microsoft account that has been associated with an email address so you can see how much easier it would be for you. If the information that I have provided has been helpful to you, please kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for Just Answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I am on the reset this Pc screen, what to do now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Restart, I suppose...
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
Please click on Reset Pc.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
And choose keep my files, if you are given that choice. If you are given a choice between refresh and reset, choose refresh.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed pathway, there was nothing other than restart which did not help. I am going to repeat from beginning.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
Please tell me what you see at each step and I will walk you though it. I've offered a phone call if you'd like but this completely optional.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get to reset this pc. It asks to choose acct to continue, has my name.At bottom it says forgot your password ***** don't see your account? I clicked this 1st try.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
Are there any othe roptions on the screen? A continue or next button? If so, please click that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Goes to reset this pic
Forgot password ***** don't see your account?
No name or adm shows
Only option restart
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to click on reset this PC?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I did choose my name for kicks, asked for password, here it has continue, gives me another try
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to upload another document that offers an alternative method of getting to the screen that we need. Let's try that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No refresh option, followed reset this pc again, again no help
I am dying to click some advanced options
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
Did you see a different screen when you followed the instructions in the document that I just uploaded? Perhaps troubleshooting? Also, do you by chance have access to another computer that is running Windows so you could make a boot disk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other computer on Windows
It is similar, like from 8 to 10, troubleshooting we got to, but no progress
We have Advanced options
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
Ok, try advanced options and let me know what you see.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
System restore, image recovery, startup repair, command prompt, uefi firmware settings, startup settings
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
I can reduce the price of the phone call the lowest amount that we are allowed to charge for a PREMIUM SERVICE ($5) if that would help. Then you can tell me exactly what you see as you see it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also says see more recovery option
Don't really think that would help, we are on static screens with very limited choices
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
ok, see more recovery options.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Safe mode
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
That won't help. I feel like we aren't getting to the Advanced Boot Menu.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, we are going in c I r c l e s
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
Did you purchase this computer brand new with Windows 10 installed on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Command prompt is available for advanced troubleshooting
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
Let's try this. Some ASUS computers have a hidden partition that will allow you to reset the laptop to factory settings. Let's see if yours does. Power on or reboot the ASUS computer. Press and release the F9 key repeatedly to access the hidden partition.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd say no went back to normal startup.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
If we had a Windows 10 install disk or bootable Windows*****or cd we could use the command prompt to reset the password. I don't suppose your PC came with anything like that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see I've beaten you, but you won't give me up---- I paid again. If you come up with something, email me.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
I apologize. I was looking up the user manual for your laptop on the Asus site. I will be happy to opt out if you'd like and let someone else help you. When you say you've paid again, do you mean that you opened a new question? If so I can submit this one to customer service for a refund. Please advise. I can't email you as I don't have your email address and we are not allowed to exchange personal information such as email addresses in chat as they wouldl be visible to all users of the site.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
You should be able to get to Reset on any Windows 10 by restarting your PC from the sign-in screen. Press the Windows logo key +L to get to the sign-in screen, then hold the Shift key down while you select Power > Restart in the lower-right corner of the screen. After your PC restarts, select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC. If it isn't working, either you're not doing something correctly, or you don't have Windows 10. I've done my best to help you but I see that you are determined to be difficult and I am wasting my time. I am opting out and opening this up to other experts. If another expert should decide to pick this up you won't have to repeat anything. They will see the entire conversation. Have a nice night.
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.
If you have access to another working computer and blank CD we can burn a program to reset the password.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't , but thank you.
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.
ok