IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

My laptop tried to do the updates but then said it couldn't

Customer Question

My laptop tried to do the updates but then said it couldn't complete them and that it's undoing the changes. It's been stuck on that screen for the last 8 hours and I can't access anything.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeCan you please remove the power cable to the Laptop then hold the power button down for 60 seconds then release.Then connect the charger, turn on the Laptop and tell me how it now operates please.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did what you suggested and it went right back to the same screen.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.
Hello! My name is***** am a certified computer professional who will assist you with the problem you described.Please tell me which Windows version is installed on your laptop.It could be:- Windows XP- Windows Vista- Windows 7- Windows 8 / 8.1- Windows 10Thanks,IT Miro
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Windows 8.1
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for the information! Please restart the laptop and then let me know what you see. Do you see the start screen or something else?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It goes right to the blue screen that says unable to finish the updates/undoing the changes. It has said it's restarting a couple times but then it goes back to the undoing changes
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.
In that case, you will need to use a Windows disc to run the repair. Do you have a Windows disc?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.
There is a way to create a Windows 8.1 disc for free, using another computer that is able to access the Internet and burn a blank DVD. Let me know if you can use another computer to do that.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't have another computer to use to create one
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.
Alternative is to reset the laptop to factory defaults which will re-install Windows, but also remove everything on the laptop. If you would like to proceed with that, I can provide the instructions.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sure
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.
OK. Let me know the make and model of your laptop.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's an HP notebook 15
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.
You can access the HP Recovery Manager to restore the default settings. To do that, restart your laptop and while it is powering on, keep pressing the F11 key. It will bring the HP Recovery Manager menu. First check if the Microsoft System Restore option is available there. It can restore Windows settings to an earlier point in time when all worked fine, for example, few days ago. If that option isn't listed, or doesn't work, proceed with the full factory restoration which will restore Windows to a working state. In some cases, there is an option to create a backup of your personal data, so if you see it, select it. The restoration may take up to 30 minutes, so wait until it has finished. If you encounter problems, let me know. Regards,IT Miro
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.
Hello again! I am following up with you to check if you were able to access the HP Recovery Manager to restore the computer to a working state. Let me know,IT Miro
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeOriginal expert here. Can you please power off the computer hold the LEFT Shift key and with it held, start the computer and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu. Try this a few times as it can be tricky and once there, let me know please.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 7 months ago.
Hello! Could you please confirm if you were able to restore your computer to a working state by following my instructions, or you still require assistance with the original problem, so either me or Richard can continue assisting you? Thanks,IT Miro