Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

My hp mediasmart notebook turns on then turns off and won't

Customer Question

My hp mediasmart notebook turns on then turns off and won't stay on. Running Windows 7
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

How old is the notebook and since how long the problem of shutting down has been going on.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A few years old. The audio is was choppy and often is until I change the volume on the desktop. Then it shut off. It turns on but not right away and when it turns on and only turns on for maybe 22nd and turns off again
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.

Please remember when we dealing with your issue. It is quite possible and may take more than one step or answer multiple times to solve a problem. In case the answer provided does not help or work dont be dissatisfied, use the Reply to expert or click on the “Continue Conversation” button and I will be happy to continue to help.
Rate only when the problem is fixed or you are 100% Satisfied with the answer provided.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Now it won't turn on at all
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.

unplug the ac adapter and remove the battery. Press and hold down the power button for 45 seconds after you remove the battery and the ac adapter is unplugged. let me know once you are done with the steps.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.

connect the ac adapter and the battery and power it on and try to get into the bios screen by pressing F2 once you are in the bios screen let it be there for 5 to 10 mins. Let me know if it shuts down on the bios screen or not.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Turned off
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In 20 seconds again before it got to. iOS screen
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.

did you try to get into the bios screen?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.

The problem is not with windows in that case you will have to open the laptop and check the heatsink mounted on the cpu you will have to get thermal paste which is applied on the cpu chip top and then place the heatsink and it should be seated properly.