Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

Is there a way to copy the entire contents of a disc drive

Customer Question

Is there a way to copy the entire contents of a disc drive (the boot drive) onto a new disc drive, then put the new drive in place of the old drive in the same machine and have the machine boot from the new drive?
I have an old windows XP machine which is starting to show its age. For various reasons, i do not want to replace the machine. I am experiencing inability to boot from the main disk. When I take the drive out of the machine and put it back into a second machine, i am able to read and write to the drive- it seems to be ok.
Sometimes, just putting the drive back into the original machine cures the boot up problem, sometimes I have to put the memory chips out and rearrange them, to get the machine to boot.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

You can do that. Do you have an external hard drive you can use to temporarily store the

image of the current drive?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i have an external drive available.
Expert:  Byron replied 6 months ago.

OK. This is going to take a bit of work.

Go here:

Click Download Free Trial and install TrueImage on the computer.

Once the program is installed go into the Tools & Utilites section and create Rescue Media.

You'll need a blank CD or a flash drive. Once you have that done create a backup of the hard

drive stored on your external drive.

When done, remove the old drive and install the new.

Boot the computer from the rescue media and restore the image from your external

drive to your new hard drive.

In the Tools and Utilities section you'll see the Clone Disk option.

It will not work in the trial version.

Expert:  Byron replied 6 months ago.

Hi. How's it going? If you have any issues please let me know. I've used TrueImage for years.