Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

My computer will not load windows 10 (that i upgraded to

Customer Question

My computer will not load windows 10 (that i upgraded to several months ago). I am typing on a different computer now. I have tried to restore the hard drive, have tried to reboot; have tried everything available in advanced repair options. In HP recovery manager, I have tried a start up test, a Hard disc test. Both test failed. What can i do, keeping in mind that i am trying to save my files that are on the hard drive?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question, I look forward to assisting you today. Can you tell me please what happens when you try to boot. Do you see any error messages?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Says it is entering automatic repair, then diagnosing your PC, then an automatic repair screen with option for advanced options that are: continue; troubleshoot; and turn off your PC.In the advance options: System Restore; System Image Recovery; Startup Repair; Command Prompt; Startup Settings; and Go back to the previous build.None of these have worked. I receive an error message: Unable to repari.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
repair (not repari)
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

How old and what model is your computer please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hp Pavilion g6. Purchased in 2011. Is there a special place to look for more information about the model? (By the way, a screen popped up asking if I wanted you to connect to my device. There is no way you can do this, I believe, given that we cannot get to a working screen.)
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

No remote connection would be possible since the computer is unable to start. Did you notice any problems prior to this?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
A virus popped up on my laptop while I was online. After running the Microsoft Windows Defender, installed malwarebytes, which appeared to quarantine the virus (pup virus?). After that, kept pop up that stated malwarebytes was quarantining potential harmful products (thought it wanting me to purchase their antivirus).
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

MalWareBytes is free unless you purchase the advanced version, so it was most likely detecting something it didn't like. Provided the drive hasn't seriously failed, you should be able to recover your data. That would mean removing the drive however to get to that point; most likely something you don't want to do on your own?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't think the malware caused this. I do think that the drive has had a serious failure however.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Prior to this, while the computer was on, the screen was completely blank and would not turn on by holding the power button down for a few seconds. I the held it down for 10 seconds or so until the computer shut off completely. then when turning it on again this is the situation I encountered.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

I agree the malware had nothing to do with this. What is hard to determine is how bad the drive is. If you know anyone that can assist you with removing the drive, I can give you instructions and tell you what you would need to check to see if your data is intact? You don't possibly have a disc in the DVD drive do you?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, no disc in drive. Since you cannot hook up remotely I don't think you can help, although it was worth a try. I will probably bring it in to a local tech/shop to see what can be done. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Okay but watch how much you spend. Make sure they can guarantee data recovery.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will do; thanks again.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

My pleasure. Good luck!