Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Having problems with the transition with windows-10.

Customer Question

Having problems with the transition with windows-10. Regarding live e-mails, unable to find print function on the toolbar or under tools to print out certain mails. In addition my
Ancestry FTM 2006 and 2012 Software is no longer functioning in its ability to export files
to PDF or RTF formats. Software is still supported through 2016; so why isn't it functioning. Genealogy files are my prime reason for using the computer and without these functions it would be useless to me. These functions all available in old windows XP but not since.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 11 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I am an independent computer expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I see that you've got a few issues you're dealing with in your transition to Windows 10. If it's alright, let's fix each one at a time until everything is working to your satisfaction.

Regarding printing in Windows 10: if you are using the built-in Mail app, the print option is hidden (but there!). While you're reading an email you'd like to print, click the More Options (...) icon in the upper-right corner of the screen, and then choose Print from the drop-down list. Did that resolve the first issue?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Eric,Using the live mail app on lower tool bar can find nothing in the upper corner of e-mail that provides more options.

Ah! Sorry, I had misunderstood. It sounds like this is the Live Mail app that was part of Windows Essentials, and came over when you upgraded.

Is this problem only happening for certain emails, or all of them?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is only the first one i've attempted as it contains Virus liscensing data the app used says windows live mail 2012,

Can you tell me, too: are you able to print from other applications? For instance, can you print out a web page successfully?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
None of them appear to have print function available.

Gotcha. The printing problem, then, appears to be system-wide.

Please click on START > SETTINGS > DEVICES. Do you have any printers listed under the Printers & scanners section in the window that appears?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
printed out scan from my HP 2000 Photosmart seems to be working OK

Great! Was that scanned and printed simultaneously, or did you print the scan from the computer?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Eric, sorry for the delay machine upgraded some of the software. need tyo check scan function now!

No problem, I'm here with you till this is fixed! Let me know when you're ready.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay Scan function is working

Does your printer appear in the Printers & Scanners section if you go to START > SETTINGS > DEVICES?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Eric, Got disconnected but Printer scanner does appear in devices portion

Let's try this: inside that same window, click on your printer name (to select it), and then click the button for Remove device. Then, power your printer off and back on; this will cause Windows to re-detect and reinstall your printer. Once the printer has been reinstalled, try to print again and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will give it a try
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
tried to remove it 3 times and removal failed all 3
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will try once more.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Eric finally got it to reinstall but HP driving me crazy with re-registrating procedures finally cut them off.

Sorry to disappear on you, there! My technician console crashed, and I had to re-load.

I do see your message about getting the printer reinstalled; is it showing back up again under the Devices & Scanners?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it's listed with the removal bar activated again

Are you able to print now from Live Mail?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The device listing won't let me get out of removal tab to use the default tab.

Let's try to force your computer to restart. If you can, click START > POWER, and then choose Restart. If that fails, hold in the power button on your PC for 15+ seconds, until the computer powers completely off; then, turn it back on. When it reboots, try again to print.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will try
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Eric back on but still nothing visible to allow me to print mail
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Eric,
Are we still connected?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is apparently going nowhere will disconnect

I'm still with you! Your messages all just came through to me. Is there a time later on today we can reconnect?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Eric,Sorry thought you had been disconnected again. still here while gone manage do print some material from online. but nothing seems to be fixed for the e-mail or FTM problems
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
FORGET IT FOR NOW.
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 11 months ago.

I will be the person helping you today. I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help. May I start a secure remote assistance session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? Once the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate via a chat window on your computer.

Thank you,
Jason