ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a computer technician.
56108293

My computer is making some unusual noises, like grinding, I

Customer Question

My computer is making some unusual noises, like grinding, I think when it's uploading some updates, not sure. It doesn't make the noises all the time. I did know how to clean the user area at one point, but, on a different computer. Need a little help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  ChrisC replied 8 months ago.

Hi Cathy my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer!

Any grinding sounds should be coming from hard drive. Just to give you a quick bit of info on how your hard drive works, it has a series of moving platters as well as what are called read/write heads that physically move around when the hard drive is being accessed. So it would make sense that your getting this sound while installing updates, because the hard drive is physically writing the information for these new updates to the platters on the hard drive.

The good news is that some grinding sounds are normal, so there's probably not actual problem with the machine. However, it the sound is overly loud or excessive, there's the possibility that your hard drive could be going bad. As a precaution, if you have any information on the computer that you can't afford to lose (pictures, documents, etc), it may be a good idea to back that information up to an external hard drive or a flash drive, or to cloud storage of some kind.

Let me know what questions you have on this and I'll be happy to help you in any way that I can.

And before leaving this page, please remember to use the rating box at the top to rate the answer at least 3 Stars/OK Service or better so that I receive credit for assisting you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Kind of knew that already. Been on computers for over 30 years. This one just started making these noises. It's a Solid State drive which gives me pause. On our other computer, a tech once walked me through cleaning off some files that sent through the "user" in the C Drive. It's been so long, I have forgotten how to get there and when I look, I don't see it. But, Being the C drive, is it possible to put in a whole new C Drive, or is it worth it. What do you think of Windows 10?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Since I'm paying $40, can we talk on the phone for a sec?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Welp, sorry. You didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 8 months ago.

Since a phone call is considered a "premium service" the site requires there be an additional charge, a minimum of $5. If you wanted me to push that through then I'd be happy to do so. Otherwise, we can just continue over the chat.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 8 months ago.

Since you seem to have stepped away from your computer, I'll go ahead and give you some more info.

With a solid state drive, there are no platters or read/write heads moving around, so you really shouldn't be hearing any sound from the drive. I'd try to be really careful to trace the sound to the exact location to identify what component is creating it.

As for "files sent through the user in the C drive," there is a folder called "Users" which holds all the files specific to your user profile. That may have been what they were referring to. But there are many files in this folder. It could be the temporary files? If that sounds right, you can delete your temp files by holding down the Windows Key and pressing the R key to bring up the Run box, then typing TEMP into the box and pressing OK. Then delete all files in the folder.

As for replacing your C drive, sure, you could do it, but you would need to purchase an entirely separate drive, replace the existing one, reload Windows and then move all your data over from the old drive. It would be a long and involved process and it may not be worth it for you.

Lastly, regrading Windows 10, it's a good operating system but it's still not totally stable. Many users continue to report problems with it, so unless you are just the type of person to always want the latest and greatest thing, then I would recommend sticking with Windows 7.

Let me know what other questions you have.