GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

I cannot download or open a Word attachment to my AOL email.

Customer Question

I cannot download or open a Word attachment to my AOL email. It tries to download and fail to complete the download. If I try to open the partial download I get a message in Word that the file is corrupted or there is not enough storage to open it. I have tried to get the attachment in IE (most current version) and chrome with the same result. My hard drive is a*****with 650GB unused. No other programs or documents are open. I have even tried to email it to another of my email accounts that is not AOL but with the same result. I am running Win 11 (fully updated) on a Dell 2305. I even reinstalled MS Office 365 to see if it was the Office install that was the problem, but no help. If I open the same email account on my old laptop, I can download and open the document. the old Laptop also has Office 365 and win 11. When I download the attachment on my laptop, then store in Dropbox, I can open the document on the desktop where the original problem exists, so it is not the document or the email account. What could the issue be? I run CCleaner and Malwarebytes without finding any problems. I also run Norton Security suite with no problems identified.
Category: Computer
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.

Hi there! My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. May I ask if you turned off system restore and booted into Safe Mode before running Ccleaner and Malware Bytes?

Expert:  Cody replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Can I remotely connect to your computer, so I can troubleshoot this issue with you?

Expert:  Cody replied 8 months ago.

Checking in to see if you still need help with this issue, if so please reply at your convenience.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I have not turned off system restore and booted into safe mode and then run Ccleaner and Malwarebytes. I will try that.

Expert:  Cody replied 8 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I turned off system restore and booted in safe mode and ran Ccleaner and Malwarebytes. No help. same behavior.

Expert:  Cody replied 8 months ago.

Are we able to do a remote session?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

It is now working. I don't know why.

Expert:  Cody replied 8 months ago.

ok thanks for the update

Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

Hi Larry. My guess is that when you ran Ccleaner and Malware Bytes in Safe Mode and turned off system restore (so no malware,virus, or spyware could hide there) as I initially suggested, it cleaned up whatever was causing the issue. Running these tools in safe mode can take care of issues that hide themselves in normal mode. I did want to remind you to turn System Restore back on, now that you've cleaned your System. You only want to have that off when troubleshooting.

If the information that I provided was helpful to you, please kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!