Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I am a technology professional with 18 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).
93256567

How do I fix error code 0xc00000e9

Customer Question

How do I fix error code 0xc00000e9
Category: Computer
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 8 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I am an independent computer expert who has been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. It is my pleasure to assist you today.

Error 0xc00000e9 is oftentimes -- though not always -- caused by a failing hard drive. May I ask where this error is appearing?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I try to turn it on
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there any chance you could fix it remotely
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It says there was a problem with a device connected to my PC.

I'm afraid I won't be able to connect to your computer remotely if it is unable to boot up. :-(

Are you able to boot into safe mode?

1. Immediately after the computer is powered on or restarted (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key in 1 second intervals.

2. After your computer displays hardware information and runs a memory test, the Advanced Boot Options menu will appear.

3. Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking and press ENTER.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It beeped 2-3 times and said it was going to safe repair but so far nothing
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Any suggestions

It very much sounds to me like your hard drive is failing, but the error you're seeing can also sometimes be caused by a virus infection. To that end, were you noticing any strangeness -- weird popup messages, getting redirected to strange websites while online, etc. -- before this more serious problem occurred?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No. My husband just died and I was trying to get ready to pay some bills. I was on it last night about 10pm just looking at emails

I am so very sorry to hear about your loss.

I can't say so with 100% certainty, due to being unable to perform a proper hardware diagnostic over the internet -- but based on our conversation today I believe the computer's hard drive is failing. The hard drive is the component which holds all of the computer's data, from the operating system software to your personal files and folders.

The lifespan of a typical platter-based hard drive (which is the most common type installed in modern computers) is 5-7 years. The component is replaceable by a computer repair shop; it tends to cost $50-75 for the part and service fees run $50-$200 depending on the amount of work the technician will do afterwards to reload your operating system, attempt to recover and transfer your files, etc.

I'm afraid there isn't anything more we can do online, but I'd be happy to help you find a qualified repair shop at which to continue service on this computer. Where are you located?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am in Pine Bluff AR

Pine Bluff Computer Services, located at 2516 E Harding Ave, appears to have good reviews. They can be reached at:(###) ###-####/p>

Was there anything else I could help you with today?

Thanks again for reaching out to us today.

If you are pleased with the quality of service I’ve given you, would you take just a moment to rate me? By doing so, you’ll help other customers by letting them know about your experience working with me, and your positive feedback allows me to be paid for the work I’ve performed. I greatly appreciate it, and hope you will reach back out to me if I can be of any further assistance to you!

How do I rate an answer?
You can give your rating by selecting one of the five faces located under each answer. Giving a positive rating compensates me for my time with you. If the value of your question is more than the value of your deposit, then your deposit will be applied toward the balance due and the remainder will be debited from your previously specified payment method. Please remember that I will not be paid until you leave a positive rating for my answer.