BigDish101
BigDish101,
Experience:  Systems Administrator at TXNJ Enterprises
92961829

Not able to record system sound on dell Latitude E6420

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

So,...just making sure....but what are you trying to record (the source)?

Where is the source coming from?

.

Again, just making sure.....what are you using to record (capture)?

I mean, what port on the computer is your audio capture device (sometimes a microphone) coming through?

.

If you are using the BUILT-IN microphone on the laptop directly......thats okay too, just need to know.

.

Dell Latitude E6420 is the make and model of the machine, which is good, how old is this machine?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
got it from office depot refurbished 3 months ago. I need to record system audio but when accessing the audio settings, I see all my mics etc but no system audio. In other words if I'm listening anything playing on my system I should be able to record this in audacity for instance
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
audacity sees my mics but not my system audio, I need a workaround since dell doesn't seem to have a driver for this
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I should be able to record spotify or any audio I listen to from a website

im stumped...i will OPT-OUT for other experts to try and help.

Expert:  BigDish101 replied 8 months ago.

Ok, I rip from Spotify using the analog hole myself all the time. There are two ways to go about this. First is to see if your soundcard's driver offers Mixer in and the second is third party free software.

Right click the white volume icon and lick recording devices then right click in open space inside the list and make sure both Show disabled devices and Show disconnected devices are both checked. Are they checked?

If they were not checked you should now see a "Stereo Mix". Enable it and set it as default recording device and you should be all set.

If they were both checked already and you still don't have a "Stereo Mix" device we'll have to go with the second route.

Download Virtual Audio Cable here: http://vbaudio.jcedeveloppement.com/Download_CABLE/VBCABLE_Driver_Pack43.zip and install it.

VB-CABLE driver will be present as new playback and recording device (appearing in the audio device list).

VB-CABLE can be set as default device, as any regular audio device. The Configure and Properties buttons allow to setup multi channel features and device sound quality.

All signal coming in the CABLE input is going to the CABLE output. Then It becomes simple to make computer audio recording or to connect a player application to a recorder one.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** above there is no stereo mix in this version of win 7 pro. Already checked disabled devices, however I was able to fix the problem using http://www.virtualaudiostreaming.net/buynow.html

Having a stereo mix has NOTHING to do with the version of windows. I have Windows 7 Pro myself on all of my computers and I have stereo mix on all of them. It has to do with your soundcard and soundcard driver. Some really cheap ones do not offer stereo mix. My desktop's Realtek HD Audio has stereo mix and my laptop's IDT audio has stereo mix. My older laptop with Sigmaltel audio does not have stereo mix.

I would not waste your money on that pay software when VB-CABLE does the same thing for free! Looks like a complete rip off to me at what they are charging for it.

Here is the page for VB-CABLE: http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/index.htm Scroll down until you see what is in the attached screen capture.

Please don't forget to rate and accept my answer as I do not get paid unless you do. Thank you.