Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry

I upgraded my phone and my calendar items did not transfer.

Customer Question

I upgraded my phone and my calendar items did not transfer. Then all of a sudden they were all gone from the original phone as well. I thought they would be on my computer, but they are not. Is there a way to restore them on my computer at least?
JA: Good tech support is often the difference between a quick fix and many sleepless nights. The Computer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Computer Technician should know?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 7 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you this evening.

I've read your problem description and am happy to help however I can. Can you tell me whether you use a service -- like Google Calendar or -- for your calendar, or were your events stored in a desktop application like Microsoft Outlook?

Customer: replied 7 months ago., I believe. How can I determine if it is in a desktop application?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I looked in and google. They are missing. I recall going to on my computer to print a calendar history in the past.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Now what happens? I have not used this service before.

Microsoft's naming scheme is a little confusing -- is web-based, so to access your calendar you'd have to go online and type that address in before getting to your calendar. If you use a desktop application, you'd have a shortcut to it in your Start Menu (or on your desktop) and it wouldn't require you to open your web browser before accessing your information. Outlook (the application) is available as part of Microsoft Office, if you purchased that suite of applications.

It sounds like you might have been using based on your last response (if you discover otherwise, please let me know)! If that's the case, I deeply regret that Microsoft provides no method to recover accidentally-deleted calendar appointments via that service. Before we give up, though, let's try to confirm where your appointments actually were stored.

In the past, when you went to create a calendar appointment, what steps did you take to do it?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I always add appointments on my phone.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do have an office suite on my computer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a "windows calendar" on my desktop.

I just saw where you mentioned you are first-time user to our service. Welcome! We are a question-and-answer site focused on providing you expert advice as you embark on a self-help project. All of the folks you encounter on our site -- myself included -- are experts in our respective fields and have credentials verified by an independent third party (unaffiliated with this site). We work with you to answer your questions until you're satisfied.

We also have the ability to perform direct assistance/repair via a secure remote connection, in which you'd connect to me and allow me access to your computer to fix your tech problems while you watch. This extra service is available for an additional fee, but is never required...just an option for folks who prefer it.

Back to your question -- may I ask what sort of phone you have?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just switched to a Samsung S7 Edge
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I thought all my data was being backed up by Google.

Nice phone! If we can figure out this calendar issue, I think you'll love having upgraded!

What was your old phone?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Samsung Galaxy S Note 3

You are 100% correct that your calendars should have been getting backed up by Google. Since both phones run Android, your Google calendars would be the default unless you specifically configured the old device otherwise.

Just to make sure I'm on the same page, where does the account come in? Do you also have one of those?

This will probably seem like a dumb question, but just to rule it out: are you signed into your new phone using the same Google account as you did on the old phone? Did all of your old email and such download to your new phone (that is, is it only the calendar appointments missing or is it everything)?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The data went away on the S Note when I logged into
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have an outlook account that I use for email and I thought my calendar was on there too.
Yes, the google accounts are the same on both phones.
Just the calendar appointments are missing. Everything else transferred fine.

I see. Okay...let's hope your events actually were stored on Google, because they *do* provide some limited restore functionality via their website. Let's check that next, if that's okay...just to cover all the bases.

To do that, visit on your computer, and sign into your account if neccessary. Do any appointments show up there? If you don't see any, we'll check your "trash." Here's the steps (via Google) to do that:

See deleted events in your trash (computer only)

When you delete an event you created or have edit access to, it stays in that calendar's trash for 30 days. When you go to the trash, you can restore events, or delete them forever.

Note: Anyone who has "Make changes to events" or "Make changes AND manage sharing" permission for the calendar can see and move events in the trash.

1. On your computer, open Google Calendar.
  2. On the left side of the page, find the My calendars list.
  3. To the right of your calendar's name (not "My Calendars"), click the dropdown menu > View Trash. You'll see the events that were deleted from this calendar.
  4. Check the box to the left of any events you want to move.
  5. Click Delete forever or Restore selected events.
  6. To delete all the events in your trash, click Empty trash now.

Let me know what, if anything, you see out on, and we'll continue troubleshooting when you come back.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is no deleted trash.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is no trash to delete.

Unfortunately, that's pretty bad means that your Calendar appointments were never syncing to Google on the old phone.

Let's try next to go to (on your computer). After signing in there, let's see if *any* old appointments that you recognize happen to show up there.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The only thing that shows up are some recurring entries I added at some point and birthdays being picked up from somewhere else (facebook, perhaps).
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What is strange is that I know I have gone on my computer and printed the data. Now it has just disappeared.

You're right, that is very odd. Especially given that it happened right when you added the account to your new phone.

The recurring entries...they were present on the same calendar where all of your other (missing) events were? I'm just hoping to confirm that we know 100% this is the right calendar.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I believe so. I checked my new phone. I have the same events feeding into the google calendar as the original calendar I was using. The Google calendar shows "Easter" in blue. The other calendar that feeds in shows it in pink. And, the birthdays are showing up in pink and blue also.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The email link is a hotmail account.

Apologies for the delay...I haven't left you. Microsoft doesn't provide for restoring missing events on their consumer calendaring solutions, so I'm researching to find out if there's anything we can do. Be back shortly!

I'm afraid that I'm not finding any good news. What I'd like to do is to bring one of my colleagues in on this request; sometimes a fresh set of eyes brings a fresh set of ideas. In a moment or two you'll see a message indicating that I've stepped aside, and we'll have another technician with you ASAP. Thanks for your patience.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay, Thank you. I will check back for a response in the morning.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

If these were android phones, its most likely they are in your Gmail calendar. Click on my link below

Sign in with the account you used on the Old phone you replaced, click on the 9 dots in the top right and click Calendar.

tell me please if you see your calendar entries there.