Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I was using my laptop with MS 8 and MS edge and about five

Customer Question

I was using my laptop with MS 8 and MS edge and about five windows open when my system hung up sounding an audio alarm (over and over) and showing a message to call(###) ###-####for microsoft tech support. The system hangs and I can only reboot the system through the task manager can I make the message go away - re-initiating the and invoking MS Edge freezes the system. Restarting using Firefox has allowed me to get to this window.
Are these guys for real? They wanted me to turn the system over to them that might fix the problem by depressing the 'flag' and the 'r' key and then invoking program turning these system over to the 'tech'. I did not know them well enough to give them that kind of freedom on my system.
Help please, John
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 8 months ago.

Hi John, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

First things first, you did well by not paying any money to, or turning your system over to the company in the "warning message".

The virus, and the company who they ask you to contact are one in the same. Thats a classic virus scam.

Now the key to moving forward is, removing the virus itself. I can either connect and do that for you via a secure remote connection. ( Or, if you are feeling a bit skeptical, I can walk you through removing the virus yourself, via written communication)

How would you prefer to proceed?

Thank you for your response,

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Walk me thru it, if you would, please.
Expert:  Dustin replied 8 months ago.

Ok, if you have access to the internet via Firefox. Then lets download and install this free program.

http://www.surfright.nl/en/downloads/download-thank-you

Once downloaded, make sure to install it, and run it. Have it scan your computer. When it completes, right click any item in the list of what it found, and then select apply to all > delete.

Then click next. Then click activate free license, enter your email address twice, and click next again.

It will then remove what it found and ask you to restart the computer.

Once thats done. We may still need to clear the cache and recent history from microsoft edge.

1. In the Microsoft Edge browser, go to More ( the three dots ... ) > Settings.
  2. Under Clear browsing data, select Choose what to clear.
  3. Choose cookies and saved website data, cached data and files, and browsing history.
  4. Then click clear.

Once thats complete, go to more, settings. And near the top where it says open with, choose Start page.

That should get us started.. Though the virus may block some of these attempts so stay in contact and let me know if you get stuck at any point.

Ive also seen your request for secure remote assistance. I tried to accept that while writing this reply but it told me the payment failed. I will send the offer back to you so you can approve it, if you want me to connect and fix the issue for you.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
perhaps it would be more expeditious for you to 'fix' it?
Expert:  Dustin replied 8 months ago.

It would save time, as the steps and processes Im used to running through on a daily basis, and when things dont go as planned I can react faster then it takes for us to message back and forth.

If youd like me to connect, you would need to approve the "offer for more help" for the secure remote assistance session.