IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

HP Elitebook 8440 - windows 7 - will not proceed beyond

Customer Question

HP Elitebook 8440 - windows 7 - will not proceed beyond starting windows - on one occasion and after 3-4 minutes - blue screen momentarily then to launch repair which we did without success. I am told that there was an error message that aid registry corrupted
Category: Computer
Expert:  Pamela Donald replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried putting in safe mode then click on system restore/ to go to safe mode turn computer off until shutdown/ then turn on and hold the F8 key down until go in safe mode then click on system restore/ don't format whole drive/ choose restore but keep all files

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you with the problem you described.

Please tell me if you see any error message displayed upon starting your HP computer. In case you get a blue screen, let me know what it says there.

I am awaiting your reply.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No error message displayed - blue screen does not come on consistently but when it does it is very quick and then onto starting windows. I had already tried the safe mode but it will not proceed beyond loading windows files screen frozen with 20+ list of loaded drivers etc. and please wait message at the bottom
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

It seems that something has happened to boot files which are needed to properly load Windows 7. Since you have Windows 7, you should be able to fix the problem easily.

Here is what to do:

First, restart your computer and then keep pressing the F8 key rapidly until you see the Advanced Boot Options. Once you see that menu, select the Repair Your Computer option and press Enter. Wait for a while and follow the on-screen instructions. You should get to the window that has several repair options, including Startup Repair.

So, click on Startup Repair which should fix all found startup problems automatically. Once it has finished, your computer should restart and operate normally.

However, if it is still the same, repeat the instructions to go back to the System Recovery Options window, but now select System Restore. When you click on System Restore, follow the on-screen instructions where you can choose one restore point based on a date to revert system settings back to that date (when all worked fine). Wait for the process to finish and it will automatically restart the computer. Hopefully, the problem will be gone. Don't worry about your personal files as they won't be affected by System Restore.

If you encounter problems, I am here to help you further.

Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did run system repair previously without success - but not start up repair... fingers crossed - will advise...
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK, try with System Restore now. In case it fails the first time, you can try with another restore point since there should be several listed.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
taking a very long time...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - -it starting - telling me windows not genuine now ?? and also windows activation message... windows has discovered a change that will result in limited windows functionality use link to find out how to fix... ??
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Good - at least you can now boot to Windows 7. Please manually restart the computer and then check if the "not genuine" message will still be there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do....
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Any changes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi - sorry for delay...
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

No problem. What is the status of the problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wanted to back up data before proceeding - ok still showing windows not genuine - which it was prior to blue screen - dont have windows 7 disc but do have office 2010... have wireless and good connectivity but firefox will not go online - just blank screen even though I just went into options and made yahoo.com the home page
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any ideas as to why firefox will not go online
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

I am writing some suggestion now. Hold on...

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Here are several suggestions on how you should be able to solve the problems you mentioned.

#1. Scan for corrupted Windows files

There may be some corrupted Windows files. I suggest running the system integrity check using the Command Prompt.

1. Click the Windows Start button and type cmd into the search box and once you see a black Command Prompt icon in the search results, under the Programs section, right-click it and select Run as administrator

2. When the Command Prompt window opens, type:
sfc /scannow
and press Enter. Note that there is space after "sfc"

3. Wait for the scan to finish. It may take up to 1 hour to complete. That command is used to detect and automatically repair corrupted Windows files. Once it is done, restart the computer and check if that made any changes

#2. Manually check for new Windows Updates and install them

Installing the Windows Updates may solve many Windows problems. I suggest manually checking for new Windows Updates and installing them.

1. Click the Windows Start button and type:

windows update

into the search box and press Enter

2. When a new window opens, click the Check for updates button. Wait a while and you will be able to install all new available updates

3. It may take a while to finish. When done, restart your computer and check if there are any changes

#3. Check the Windows activation status

If Windows 7 had been activated before, but now displaying it is not genuine and asks for a new activation, please do the following:

1. Click the Windows Start button and then click on Control Panel

2. Click on the System and Security category and then click on System

3. Scroll to the bottom of the window. Check what is displayed in the "Windows activation" section. You may need to click on "Activate now" or "Change product key" to proceed with the re-activation. If asked to type a product key, just enter the same one you had originally used

#4. Web browsers check

Since you mentioned Mozilla Firefox won't open web pages, please start another web browser, such as Internet Explorer, and check if it will work. To do that, click the Windows Start button and type Internet Explorer into the search box and press Enter. Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wow - holy cow.... I gotta crash for tonight - will do in the morning... actually on last restart - I did not get desktop background image just black screen frozen with all items that were on desktop and the working/buffering blue doughnut. can't select or click anything.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Try those suggestions tomorrow. Hopefully, the desktop will respond.

Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
appreciate your efforts - hopefully, I can resurrect... thanks...
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still having errors and activation is giving error code 0x8007232B
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

The 0x8007232B error code means Windows cannot communicate with the registration server. Please check if you are connected to the Internet. Are all web browsers working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no... as before I could not get connected shows good connectivity but will not go online... Just rebooted and received message.... fatal error occurred check the HP connection manager in event viewer for more details - requested service provider could not be loaded or initialized
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no browsers - IE/firefox/chrome
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

In that case, you can uninstall current wireless network drivers and then re-install them. It should solve the connection problem.

To do that, follow these instructions:

device manager

into the search box and press Enter

2. In the Device Manager window, expand the Network adapters category

3. Now locate the wireless network adapter - it should say Intel WLAN or Qualcomm Atheros or Ralink or Realtek, or anything with the words "wireless", "wifi" or "wlan"
Once you have located your wireless network adapter, right-click its name and select Uninstall. Check the Delete the driver software for this device check-box if it is available

4. Confirm by clicking OK and when you see it has disappeared from the list, restart your computer

5. When your computer restarts, it will automatically re-detect the wireless network adapter and re-install the drivers

6. After that, re-connect to the wireless network and check if the Internet connection is fully working with all web browsers

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that and restarted and now start up repair is checking for problems >> your computer was unable to start... have to leave will let it run and check upon my return...
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

It seems to me that your Windows 7 installation is heavily corrupted and you may want to consider re-installing it since you keep having all kind of problems.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have windows 7 disc or key other than the one that is currently entered... this is my son's computer and don't know what may have happened...
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

The current product key can be extracted using a special program, and there is a way to create a Windows 7 installation for free by downloading the installation files from the Internet and burning them onto a blank DVD.

If you would like to re-install Windows 7, I can provide the instructions on how to extract the product key and create a Windows 7 installation disc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please - but let me update.... computer up reacquired wifi and asked to identify home work public.... still no internet on any browser - popped up the same error messages as before >> An unauthorized change was made to windows - learn more online... and >> fatal error HP connection manager - requested service provider could not be loaded or initialized.
sorry have to leave - cant check back until after 8pm Pacific...
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

You shouldn't be experiencing these kind of problems. I suggest re-installing Windows 7.

Please tell me the edition of Windows 7 that is currently installed, such as:

- Starter

- Home Basic

- Home Premium

- Professional

- Enterprise

- Ultimate

Also, let me know if it is 32-bit or 64-bit.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi... 7 Pro - but only showing Service Pack 1
Also windows activation is not showing product ID key any longer.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Download and run a free program called ProduKey that is able to extract the Windows product key.

Download link:

http://tinyurl.com/dgzcf

Once you have the Windows 7 product key, go to this link to download the Windows 7 installation files:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry... are you forgetting that computer recognizes and acquires wifi - browsers will not go online
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I loaded and ran Produkey - but key was not found... on results. I need to solve the browser issue so I can go online and a way to download updates or remote help.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello again!

Since the wireless connection is not fully working, please connect your computer directly to your router using an Ethernet cable, and check if you can access the Internet.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi have had a lot on my plate >> connected directly to router - will not go online >> I ran prodkey again and it came up with the key this time when I enter it it starts to verify and then throws an error- I assume that its because it will not go online. I had spybot installed on this machine - is there anything it can do that will help us?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello again!

I am sorry to see the problem is still there.

I suggest booting your computer into Safe Mode with Networking to see if you can access the Internet from there.

To do that, restart your computer and then keep pressing the F8 key rapidly until you see the Advanced Boot Options menu. Once you see it, select Safe Mode with Networking. Log in to your Windows account and check if the Internet works.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still directly connected to router safe mode networking - no firefox no IE >> network diagnostics cannot be run in safe mode >> chrome>> dns probe finished no internet....
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

It looks like there is a problem with the network settings in general. May I know if there is another computer connected to the same home network?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a desktop connected to router - but no home network as far as I know - ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by the way the wifi adapter is MS virtual miniport > I had deleted it previously - restarted and it reloaded
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
again 7 pro 64
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

By home network, I meant your router.

Please check the network settings (IP addresses) on your desktop computer and compare them to the ones on your HP laptop.

1. Click the Windows Start button, open the Control Panel and click Network and Internet and then Network and Sharing Center

2. Click on Change adapter settings located in the upper left corner

3. Select a network adapter in use (either Local Area Network or Wireless Network Connection), and right-click it and choose Status and then click the Details... button

You will see network connection details. What that information down.
- IPv4 Address
- IPv4 Subnet Mask
- IPv4 Default Gateway
- IPv4 DNS Server

Do the same on your HP laptop and let me know the difference.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
desktop is 8.1 trying to find details
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

The instructions apply for Windows 8.1 as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
desktop - ethernet - networking - version 6 TCP/ IPv6 and IPv4 & version 4 TCP/ IPv4 are checked
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checking laptop
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

For Windows 8.1 computer:

Right-click on "Ethernet" and select Status. On the Status window, click on Details...

You will then see the network connection details. What that information down.
- IPv4 Address
- IPv4 Subnet Mask
- IPv4 Default Gateway
- IPv4 DNS Server

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got it... IPv4 address is different D= 192.168.1.147 >> L= 192.168.1.135 >>all else is the same
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
subnet 255.255.255.0 default gateway/dhcp server /dns server/wins server 192.168.1.254
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

That should be fine; however, since the network connection is still unavailable, please manually assign the IP addresses on your HP laptop.

1. Right-click on the network adapter on your laptop and select Properties

2. Scroll down a bit and double click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

3. Select Use the following IP address and type this:

IP address: 192.168.1.25
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.254
Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8
Alternate DNS server: leave blank

4. Click OK > OK

5. Now check the Internet connection

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no... but when I look at details again >> DHCP enabled - no >> all else is as you asked me to enter
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

DHCP is disabled when you enter the IP addresses manually, as you now did per my recommendation.

I am really not sure what caused this network blockage. It is strange the network is not available while in Safe Mode with Networking, since Windows loads only basic drivers and services there, without any usual startup program.

I guess you will need to re-install Windows 7 to solve all the problems you are experiencing. Since you were able to extract the product key using the ProduKey program, you can download the Windows 7 installation files using your desktop computer. Go to the link below to download the Windows 7 installation files:

You will then be able to burn an installation disc and use it on your HP laptop to re-install Windows.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 2 wireless connections - I did above to the Intel r centrino r advanced -N.... however the MS virtual wifi miniport shows connectivity but red X and when I tried to assign above same to this connection message says I should not assign same address to both...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - I need to find a solution or I must to take to take to someone today who is able to put hands on it to fix the problem
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Microsoft Virtual WiFi miniport gets created for Intel wireless network adapter - it provides some advanced features, such as connecting devices to a private network with no Internet connection. It is disabled by default. You can ignore it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok but in device manager it was the only wifi and that is what I uninstalled and rebooted... I never saw the Intel centrino...??
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Intel Centrino is a wireless network adapter. Since you mentioned connecting the HP laptop directly to your router using a network cable, then you need to enable the "Local Area Network" adapter.

Is it enabled now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
control panel /network and sharing/ internet/ local area network/ general >> media state enabled >> details DNCP enable - NO
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

I believe the Windows 7 installation on your HP laptop is corrupted, so you will need to re-install Windows.

My last suggestion regarding fixing the issue is to use a program named AdwCleaner. It can automatically remove all browser toolbars and other add-ons that can install with other programs and generate warnings, pop-ups and ads. It can also remove all programs that change Windows settings, such as network settings. If the network blockage was caused by one of such programs, AdwCleaner will remove it and restore default network settings.

AdwCleaner is free and can be downloaded on this link:

http://tinyurl.com/LK49358

Download it using your desktop computer and then transfer it to your HP laptop using a USB disk drive.

To use it, exit all running programs on your HP laptop, especially web browsers and then start AdwCleaner.

Click on the Scan button. Wait until the scan has finished – it might take a few minutes. Once done, you will see the results. You can then click on the Cleaning button to remove all detected files. This program is safe to use because it only scans for programs and components included on its list so it won't remove any personal data or programs that you actually use.

Once that is done, it will require you to restart the computer, so do it. After the restart, check if you can access the Internet.

If not, you can restore the automatic IP configuration (DHCP):

1. Right-click on the "Local Area Network" adapter on your laptop and select Properties

3. Select Obtain an IP address automatically

4. Click OK > OK

5. Now check the Internet connection again

If it is still not working, I suggest creating a backup of the important data on the HP laptop and proceeding with the Windows re-installation.

Regards,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello again!

Thanks,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry - I thought that I had responded to you previously - I could not spend countless more hours waiting and fumbling through repair possibilities.. I was a little frustrated as you would provide a couple of solutions and then seemingly give up and tell me the Windows 7 operating system is corrupted beyond repair, then we try again and again. I took my laptop in for repair and it was ready after 90 minutes. I do know what was done specifically, but I was charged $147. As I thought I had had replied to you previously, I would never spend this much time with this process again. I am not sure how I can provide you with a satisfactory rating; and although you had provided options with easily executable instructions, they did not resolve my issue.