Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

I have a 5-year-old Dell computer with Windows 7. Microsoft

Customer Question

I have a 5-year-old Dell computer with Windows 7. Microsoft downloaded Win10 and was going to install it without my permission. I caught it in just in time to avoid the installation. The download is OK with me--I don't use much memory--but trying to change the OS without my permission is inexcusable. I don't want Win10 now, if ever. It would be a major risk of trouble.
My problem, a minor one, is this: since avoiding Win10 the computer won't go to sleep automatically and won't stay asleep if I put it asleep manually from the shut-down button. Can I restore the normal sleep function?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

Please open control panel and then Power options

Besides the power plan selected click on the change option

make sure the sleep option for battery and power cord are not set to Never and there is a time set for both the categories for sleep

Make the time bit shorter maybe 2 minutes just for changes

once done, leave the computer untouched for 3-4 minutes and check if it goes to sleep or not

let me know and i will suggest further accordingly

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your answer.
The settings for the plan "Dell" (the chosen plan) say
Turn off the display: 30 min
Put the computer to sleep: 2 hours
If I click on "Change advanced power settings" I get a menu "Advanced settings" with a tree of choices. Nothing about battery or power cord. There are Power button action settings: Do nothing, sleep, hibernate, shut down. It is set at hibernate. This window and the previous one also have a button "Restore plan defaults". I pressed this button. Nothing happened that I could tell. Then I set the Dell plan to display off 1min, computer sleep 2min. They did so. After waking up the computer I restored the display & sleep defaults for the Dell plan. We shall see what happens tonight & tomorrow.
By the way, the last automatic nighttime Win 7 update was 02-26. MS might have stopped sending these to my computer. My Win 7 computer at work has been updated since then. But they are professionally managed.
-Chuck Greenhall
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.

when you leave it powered on on which screen are you on windows 10 right now let me know that.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am still on Windows 7, thank goodness. In the middle of the night I used the primary shut down button (install updates and shut down computer). I had never done that before because Windows had always installed updates automatically. Windows proceeded to download all the Win 7 updates I had been missing, about 14 of them, and powered down the computer. When I turned it on this morning, Windows installed the updates, just like at work, and then booted up normally to Windows 7. From the Control Panel I could see the updates that had been installed. So maybe from now on I have to use the primary shut-down button nightly because Windows won't sleep properly and update automatically. Your suggestions are welcome.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll leave it on today when I go to work and see what state it is in when I get back home.
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.

alright let me know once you are back.